Not so grand day shooting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Not so grand day shooting

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Mostly because of the heat and humidity here in the desert. I will say, I am very happy I am following the advice to wipe between shots, slows me down a little, but the accuracy has more than made up for it. So I am not going to use today as a testament to how accurate my handloads are, but one thing of note, I shot only bullets sized to .459 in my Shiloh today, I have been shooting the same bullets sized .460, which wasn't sizing the entire bullet, only a couple of high spots, anyhow, today was the first time I have had zero leading, now I will say I didn't fire but 20 rounds, but there weren't even traces of leading. One thing that strikes me as a bit odd, when using Ballistol on my cleaning patches, the fouling comes out black, if I use Butch's Bore Shine, they look more brown. Anyhow, the steel was set up at 350 yards today, and the majority were hits, my pre-plumbing DOPE is way off, took a few shots to get dialed in, but the sweat in the eyes and a bit of dehydration shake kept the remaining ones from being in the 10 ring, just excuses, I plain didn't shoot very well today. Thinking of making a run back to Raton weekend after next, have to see how the cookie crumbles.

Dave
High Desert Hunter

Re: Not so grand day shooting

I should have added that the alloy was softer, about 30:1, from the same Brooks mould. Loaded over 70gr of FFg Old Eynsford in Starline 45/70 cases.
High Desert Hunter

I should have added that the alloy was softer, about 30:1, from the same Brooks mould. Loaded over 70gr of FFg Old Eynsford in Starline 45/70 cases.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

With 1-30 alloy you can probably shoot bullets less than .459" accurately with that load.

Overall sounds like a good starting load and 350 yards is a fair test.

As for wiping solution you may have to try some different solutions to come up with what is best for you. The goal is minimizing the cumulative effects of hard fouling in the barrel.

At the moment though you are right to concentrate on accuracy.

I won't even comment on shooting in the desert heat. It is what it is.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Clark Badgett

Post by Clark Badgett »

Humidity in the desert? Did it rain?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Possibly, it is the Monsoon season in the SW.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
High Desert Hunter

It rained the night before, and it was building up thunderstorms as we were shooting. Used to humidity around 10%, was running at 60%, awful. Shouldn't complain though, we desperately needed moisture, we went 6 months with barely a drop. Let my Bud run a bunch of rounds and ring the steel, trying to get him addicted as I am.