Forming a Black Powder Shooting Organization

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Forming a Black Powder Shooting Organization

Post by desert deuce »

Bringing information from another thread to a new thread the title of which more accurately reflects the content. The general idea is forming a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Shooting Organization to promote and standardize the sport.

With that high ideal in mind a wonderful and workable plan can be devised and it would be a crying shame if it were to fail due to inept execution. The trick is to devise and implement an independent plan successfully for the long term and that will practically require Devine intervention based on past experience.

FROM ANOTHER TOPIC ON MATCH SHOOTING BY JACKRABBIT: 2021 BPCR Nationals -Ridgway, PA

Re: 2021 BPCR Nationals - Ridgway, PA
Post by desert deuce » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:35 pm

The optimistic Jackrabbit wrote: Will you help? (assuming that is directed at me.)

Answer is: Perhaps....and depends. I am at that point in life where I have very little, almost non existent, tolerance for bull shit.

Maybe something like what .22 BPCRA did while organizing could work. Anything that falls squarely and permanently on one or two sets of shoulders may work temporarily but in the long run not so much. There are some people that should be included in the planning and development stages and they are mostly past and current match directors that have the best interests of promoting the sport rather than their own personal interests could really turn out something special.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Re: Forming a Black Powder Shooting Organization

Post by desert deuce »

That's what I thought.
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

So the way I currently understand it, is that there are 2 primary organizations that run the way BPCR shoots are conducted. The NRA, which according to what I read, has a waning interest in BPCR, and the NMLRA, which I truthfully don't know a whole lot about. If one were to base their thinking about the sport, you would be led to believe that overall interest is waning, average age of competitors is climbing, and support from suppliers appears to have dropped. Now if I were to go simply by the availability of rifles and associated paraphernalia, there is an assumption of a huge interest. I am very late to the game, have had an interest for decades, but not the financial wherewithal to engage. Hope to see the sport grow, but I know that those I shoot with are afraid of the investment vs a common high power rifle or AR platform.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I don't feel qualified to plan or organize anything. All I've done is shoot our monthly matches, been to Friendship twice, that is it. Now I'm sure there is something I could help do. How many of the people that are working on the .22 game and organization also shoot the big bore rifles? Maybe they would help. How many match directors or people that are experienced enough to do something like this are willing to tell the NRA to stick it we will be on our on? Are we talking sillywet only, or also BPTR also?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Not sure I understand what you mean by forming a "new" BP organization.....unless that means using black powder only as the propellant and no smokeless. If that is the idea, I can see the draw to that, and BPCR by name does imply its singular use.
kw
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I think it's a good idea and I would join and pay dues if needed. There would have to be a plan and bylaws in place but that could be done.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 am That's what I thought.
That was only an hr. Me thinks you are way to impatient.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Semtav, make that 25 hrs.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I wonder what the targets would be and the course(s) of fire if this new organization were formed ??
The leader would need to be very level headed, veteran competitors and intelligent ..you know.....Like Kenny Tebbe or Brent Danielson.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Maybe we shouldn't let SEMTAV near a scorecard. :shock:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Maybe we shouldn't let SEMTAV near a scorecard. :shock:
semtav

Post by semtav »

Coltsmoke wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm Semtav, make that 25 hrs.
Oh. Well the days are kinda running together right now :oops:
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:08 pm Maybe we shouldn't let SEMTAV near a scorecard. :shock:
I think the scorecards are safe for a while. And the targets too! Been a long time since I've even shot a gun and I think I went 0 for 10 then!!

Even I'm starting to believe I'm just a keyboard shooter.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Coltsmoke wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 pm Semtav, make that 25 hrs.
An hour or 25......... the interest seems to be minimal.
Matches, including the nationals, seem to go quite well without the NRA's involvement, other than record keeping.
Glenn