22 long rifle ammunition

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Johnson

Re: 22 long rifle ammunition

Post by Michael Johnson »

I like Lapua Polar Biathlon. My Model 52B Winchester likes it as does my Kimber Govt. The Miruko lowall shoots well with it as well. It does not care if it is 20 degrees or 90 degrees. I also have three cases of it left. I bought it when it was way less expensive and available.It really sucks that good ammo is not freely available. I suspect some government effort to limit our shooting is afoot. Unfortunately that labels me as an extremist.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Shoot Mike , Posting on here and hanging out with this bunch of rough-ians is what really labels you ! :lol:
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

You're going to laugh. When I was coaching our county smallbore team, I put my son's Anschutz 54 in a huge vice, clamped down to a concrete bench rest match table with massive 10" C clamps. Of course the rifle was protected by urethane foam and plywood. I wanted the gun rock solid. I took a box of every match ammo I could find. I would put a new target up backwards for every type of ammo. I fired 10 rounds of each one, gently working the bolt and the 2oz trigger. The goal was to find the ammo that grouped the best. Tenex was not even in the running. Wolf sold 2 grades of ammo. One was a true match ammo, and the other was match-target, and much cheaper. This cheaper Wolf would put 10 bullets through 1 hole. It almost looked like 1 bullet had passed through the target paper. Once I determined Wolf worked the best, I let the rifle set 30 minutes to cool, and shot it again. No change
. I called Homer at Shooters Choice and ordered 2 cases of that lot number. I was told this ammo was actually loaded by SK. It performed well in every rifle we used it in.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

You're going to laugh. When I was coaching our county smallbore team, I put my son's Anschutz 54 in a huge vice, clamped down to a concrete bench rest match table with massive 10" C clamps. Of course the rifle was protected by urethane foam and plywood. I wanted the gun rock solid. I took a box of every match ammo I could find. I would put a new target up backwards for every type of ammo. I fired 10 rounds of each one, gently working the bolt and the 2oz trigger. The goal was to find the ammo that grouped the best. Tenex was not even in the running. Wolf sold 2 grades of ammo. One was a true match ammo, and the other was match-target, and much cheaper. This cheaper Wolf would put 10 bullets through 1 hole. It almost looked like 1 bullet had passed through the target paper. Once I determined Wolf worked the best, I let the rifle set 30 minutes to cool, and shot it again. No change
. I called Homer at Shooters Choice and ordered 2 cases of that lot number. I was told this ammo was actually loaded by SK. It performed well in every rifle we used it in.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I agree that the Wolf Match target was an excellent choice. I shot it too. The problem is that Wolf is no longer manufactured by SK. Eley is now the manufacturer. Not the same long distance accuracy as the SK made stuff. I've tried the current SK and found it lacking in my rifle. My testing showed the Eley Team to be excellent to 100 yards and Tenex at the longer yards. My rifle, my testing. What this is really telling us is that each rifle will respond differently, so there is no absolute answer here.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Woody - amen to that. Just like our BP rifles, every 22RF rifle/barrel likes what it likes. Picking up a new CZ457 this week for NRA smallbore silhouette and will have to go thru the ammo testing thing with it. With the lack of ammo out there am hoping it will like what I have. That said, Champion's Choice is taking back-orders on some ammo, so must be expecting deliveries in the not too distant future.
Glenn