Trigger Time

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Trigger Time

Post by High Desert Hunter »

I have finally decided on a load for the Sharps 45 2.1", yesterday I went out and shot up a hodgepodge of loaded ammunition, and it had me waffling on whether to use the magnum primers (CCI 250s) or standard LR primers (WLR), I have a much larger stash of magnum primers than I do standard.
Sharps_Target_7_Aug_21__2.jpg
Bottom line, I am enjoying myself, could only get out to 140 yesterday, it was still warm but the humidity was back down to around 20%. I am playing around with the different front sight inserts, it is a welcome break from the current world events, I think my long range 300 WM is feeling neglected, but right now I am pretty focused on getting much better with my favorite rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desert deuce

Re: Trigger Time

Post by desert deuce »

Well, you did not divulge the succession of those shots.

That would mean numbering 1-20 or so in order.

If the top ten shots are the first ten, then not bad load.

If the bottom six were the last six that looks like the effects of hard fouling in the barrel.

The best rifle/load combination can fail due to hard fouling in the barrel, which is usually caused by heat buildup inside the barrel.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

What's your load details?
What do you do for fouling control?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
High Desert Hunter

From bottom to top; very bottom was to find elevation, ones to the far left to were incorrect windage, middle ones were windage before changing to the 70gr loads, the ones at the 1 O'clockish position were the last several fired. Loads were 69 to 70.2 grains of Old E FFg, some with magnum priers, some with standard primers, fouling control was a patch with a water and Murphy's Oil Soap mixture between shots. Cases were all Starline with no sizing, they are cases segregated strictly for the Sharps. Bullet is a Brooks Creedmoor, these were a mixture of 20:1 amd 30:1, I am going to stick with 20:1, lube is beeswax and Crisco about a 65/35 mixture due to the heat. Leading was almost non-existent, cleanup was pretty easy, especially when compared to the beginning of this journey.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Anneal the case mouth.
What wad do you use?
Gary
High Desert Hunter

I am using a .030 Walter's Wad.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

try to build a load around what you have the most of( primers) art
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

High Desert Hunter wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:15 am I am using a .030 Walter's Wad.
Try .060, will give a better gas seal.
Gary
High Desert Hunter

Thank you sir, I will do that!
High Desert Hunter

So honestly, if you were choosing, would you stick with standard rifle primers, or go with the magnum primers? I have enough standard for about 1K rounds if I lay off loading for my 32 WS and 22-250 a bit. I appreciate the inputs.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

HDH,

It has long been accepted that the lower the power (brisance) of the primer the better it works with Black Powder. Therefore the standard rifle would be the better choice. You may have noticed reading some of the other threads that many of the competitive shooters, myself included use PISTOL primers for that very reason. One of the 'theories' is that the magnum primer gets the bullet moving before the slower to ignite black powder has a chance to ignite and when it does you get a second shove on the bullet which has already started down the barrel and does not have a chance to obdurate into the rifling allowing the gases to blow past the bullet. As I said, that is a theory and I don't know whose it is but I get better results with pistol primers. YMMV

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
High Desert Hunter

Thank you Paul, I started using magnums after reading the SPG book by Venturino. I will stick with the standard LR primers then until I can't.
semtav

Post by semtav »

HDH
Since you have lots of the magnum primers you might try an under powder wad. And see what your accuracy is like.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

When I finish a match, I sometimes get asked what Primer I use. Answer is the same as it was 20 years ago, when I did my first and only primer test. CCI 250. I like what Art said, build your load around what you have.

You've also answered your own question, by the Title of your thread......Trigger Time. Because everyone has a different way to make these things shoot.

Hello Paul, maybe this border thing is getting closer to happening, which seems strange with the spike we are seeing in Covid cases.
High Desert Hunter

It is a journey, and I am having an enjoyable one. When the steel sings, it definitely is a joyful sound. Only thing I wish I had more of is time, and I wish we had a little less heat, although I shouldn't complain, Desert Duece is a touch closer to hades. I will say this, I plan on an apples to apples comparison between the CCI250s and the WLR primers, same cases, same bullets, same powder, compression and wad. Then I can move on to trying an under powder wad.