Trigger Time

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DeadEye

Re: Trigger Time

Post by DeadEye »

HDH, You have the right approach, take your time, be patient, change one thing at a time and don't be surprised when what looked so good yesterday goes to pot today. Enjoy the ride . . .

Charlie, We got back from two shoots (Silhouette) last week and I've been in the loading room ever since getting ready, Just In Case. We'd love to see you on the 4th.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Paul, I'm assuming you are referring to the Coker Memorial Match. That would be great. The match is one of my favorites, 2 days of nothing but 800 to 1200 yds. Hope to see you there.

Charlie
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Deadeye and Charlie Young at the same match?

Hope somebody takes a gopro of that and shares it here. :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I actually have a picture from years ago, when we shot an informal Silhouette in Forsyth, Mt. Been a long time ago as I was using my Pedersoli. He drives within a mile of our place when he heads south. Maybe 150 north of us as the crow flies. We've shot the same squad at the Quigley also.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Is this the one you mean Charlie?
IMG_0025.JPG
That was fourteen years ago, '07

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

From left, Charlie Young, Pat Menahan, Paul Lawrence, Gerald Jilka and Joan Jilka the lady who won the Quigley in 2002. There you go DD.

Paul
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Yep, damn I still wear that same t-shirt...HA! Was about 105 in the shade that day as I recall!!
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Salty bunch!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

In that bunch maybe turn the name around to Young Charlie.

I would know Deadeye's hide at the tannery, he just doesn't age.

Guessing the youngster on the far right is the team mascot?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

This past Saturday shot silhouette with Chip Mate and the regulars in Tucson, 105 in the shade and 17-19% humidity.
I needed some pretty good gloves to pick up and reset the animals.

By the way, Chipper won the Raton Show Down Match with his trusty 40-65, 56 grains Swiss 1 1/2 and Saeco #740 bullet
Same rifle and load he won last Saturday's match. I think he has been shooting that load for at least ten years IIRC.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

What rifle was Chip Mate using, D.D. ?
Woody

Post by Woody »

Bet you it was his Hepburn. What say Zack?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Hey Zack, I wouldn't call any women who can beat 400+ men at their own game a 'mascot'. Just sayin'

Paul
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have actually found that once you have a good and consistent load and rifle going for you that daily dry fire practice is as good "perhaps better" to improve your scores than is range time. I know that is counter thought to the status quo but I have found it to be true with me.
When dry firing and learning to call sight position at the trigger break one can see all the mistakes , adjust for them and commit those things to muscle memory that are often covered up by recoil and muzzle report.
Another good exercise that I learned from Jim Owens book was just spending time with a spotting scope and no rifle at all observing wind, mirage and lighting change. Practice catching reversals , turning the scope into the wind to slow down shimmer to get a read on velocity etc. In other words practicing all the things you are going to have to master in the match. Personally I feel most shooters are actually better shots than their scores represent and their weakness is more in doping conditions and correcting for them than their ability on the trigger.
I would add one thing to this scope practice and that is doing it with your shoot pardner so you both are seeing and discussing the same conditions and figuring out the solutions.
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

I have used dry fire practice for decades, for handguns, rifles, and even my shotguns, as you say it gives you the ability to call the shot when the trigger breaks. I unfortunately shoot along about 90% of the time, but I will try spending a bit more time on the scope, learning to read mirage is becoming less like voodoo and is incredibly useful, especially as the wind shifts frequently here.