A good .45-90 Paperpatch load, anyone?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

A good .45-90 Paperpatch load, anyone?

Post by opencountry »

I’m getting tired of beating myself up shooting the 535-grain MB on top of 95 grains of Goex Fg in my 12-pound Sporter. Does anyone have a decent Swiss 1.5 load you’re willing to share with me shooting pp? I’ve got a lot of Swiss 1.5….

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
semtav

Re: A good .45-90 Paperpatch load, anyone?

Post by semtav »

I think Charlie Young had a real good one for the Shiloh that he doesn't use, he might give you.
Unfortunately I erased all my pm's so I may be mistaken.
95 gr Swiss 1.5 worked real well in my Browning tho.
Before I switched to the 45 2 7/8.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Then I’ll give this a try from 90 grains upward.
Thanks,
Robert
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Are you using any type of slip-on recoil pad?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:34 pm Are you using any type of slip-on recoil pad?
Gary
Yes, always, Gary.
A full load of 111.0 grains of Swiss or Goex in the 16# .45-110 guns I own is really pleasant to shoot compared to this 95-grain load my 12# .45-90. I use the same 535-grain money bullet in both. I’m going to first see what 80-90 grains of Swiss 1.5 does on paper before I go above 90.
Robert
Last edited by opencountry on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've used 73 grains of Swiss 1.5 behind a 540gr creedmoor bullet in my .45-90 since I got it. I've used that for silhouette and L.R out to 1000 yards.
Yeah, I know that it's a mild load for a 90, but I've got post surgery shoulders and an acquired brain injury. I've still found it to be a very good load, it's won me a bunch of matches here at home from monthly club shoots to National titles and got me a top ten finish at Raton last time I visited. :D
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have had good success in a couple of .45 cal rifles with loads with filler. A suitable filler is needed to ensure that the reduced charge burns the same every time. The filler that I have settled on is amaranth seed, available at health-food stores. It is a 1mm diameter hard spherical seed, and measures well in a powder measure. Does't crush or compact under powder compression, either. Much handier than a wad-stack, and way superior to cereal-type fillers.

A little lighter bullet will cut the recoil quite a bit. A 10 % reduction in bullet weight will cut the recoil almost 20%.

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have had good success in a couple of .45 cal rifles with loads with filler. A suitable filler is needed to ensure that the reduced charge burns the same every time. The filler that I have settled on is amaranth seed, available at health-food stores. It is a 1mm diameter hard spherical seed, and measures well in a powder measure. Does't crush or compact under powder compression, either. Much handier than a wad-stack, and way superior to cereal-type fillers.

A little lighter bullet will cut the recoil quite a bit. A 10 % reduction in bullet weight will cut the recoil almost 20%.

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

CHRIS
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks Chris,
I’ll keep this information in my notes. I’ve been performing a ladder test with Swiss 1.5 from 80 grains to 95, and have found a couple nice loads, which I will duplicate and try again. Nearly all of these loads have the same horizontal ‘spread’ at 100 yards, but the vertical spread differs with the increase or decrease of powder weight. Looking for a perfectly still morning to shoot. I’ve shot pp for some time now, and I’ve found that the ‘fit’ of the patched ball in the rifling makes a huge difference in how much lead fouling I find in the bore after shooting. My 45-90 never lead-fouls no matter how many rounds I shoot through it, where both my 45-110’s both foul just a little. I’m wondering if this has to do with the tighter bores both my 16# 45-110’s have. My 12# 45-90 has a slightly larger bore, diameter-wise; The patch ball fits nicely when loading the round. The patched balls fit snugly in both 45-110’s. I’d be interested in hearing what others know about this.
Thanks again,
Robert
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

A 110 Burns more powder and will give more bullet upset, potentially forward of the paper patch. How's that for another explanation?
trapper

Post by trapper »

That is my explanation too. I have shot the same pp bullet in both my 45-70 and my 110. the 110 had some leading issues. I recovered some of the bullets out of the burn behind my target. Looked like the bullet was upsetting in front of the patch. I lengthened my patch a little on the 110 and it cured my leading problem.

Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

trapper wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am That is my explanation too. I have shot the same pp bullet in both my 45-70 and my 110. the 110 had some leading issues. I recovered some of the bullets out of the burn behind my target. Looked like the bullet was upsetting in front of the patch. I lengthened my patch a little on the 110 and it cured my leading problem.

Trapper
Well then, that’s exactly what I’m gonna do then.
You guys are too good to me.
Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Did some adjustments on the 110 patch; old on the right, new on the left. Now to prove it out…
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

you can insert your bullet in your mold backwards, that will give you the ogive or nose of your bullet. patch to that point, or just below. you can make a scratch line or some just prick punch the spot.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member