A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

art ruggiero

Re: A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Post by art ruggiero »

great article rick thanks art
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Very informative article. In the past I have did 5 shot groupings of different loads for each group. I would load 5 rounds with all the same components and just change the charge weight for each group. So to test 6 or 7 different weight charges of powder that means I would have to load and fire 30 to 35 rounds plus a few more just to get on paper and settled in. Then if none of them produced a small enough group to my liking I would start all over with another variation of powder charge weight to test. Sometimes it has been a lengthy process with less than stellar results. I have 3 BPCR’s that I have yet to find a good enough load for in order to take to a match and that’s about 9K worth of hardware just sitting in the safe, not being utilized for their intended purpose. That keeps me up some nights. I am going to try this testing method this winter and see what will come of it. It’s a lot simpler than what I have been trying. I am dying to get the Meachum 45-100 with the gain twist barrel smoking. I know it can, just have to play with it more.

KA.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

My copy of the Black Powder Cartridge News finally arrived the other day. Just glanced through the article and will need to go back and re-read more carefully. I've always shot 5 shot groups with different charges, then compare the results and repeat the good group(s) to determine if it was a fluke.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I am experiencing a problem of sorts with this method. I am having numerous shots go virtually through the same hole (think ragged hole), and, after three such hits it is hard to decipher the following shots in those same holes through the scope or even when at the target. I can't find my .45 Cal mylar overlay. Looking for an alternate solution? Any ideas?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

A new aiming point for every shot.
Then either overlay the aiming points, or measure from each aiming point to the relevant hole.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I don't have the article, someone give it to me in a nutshell, please. DD, move that target out further than 20 yds. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I ranged it Smoke, it is dead nuts 200 yards.
14 different aiming points on a 2'x3' cardboard face with iron sights at 200 yards, Aviator? Then overlay them? Perhaps a demonstration?
Having enough trouble trying to post some of the targets here so you can see the problem for yourselves. So far no luck.

Better yet, you take the article and you try out this method and let's see if you can come up with a solution? :wink:
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well, you might have to use some additional cardboard......... :lol:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I think, and this is just thinking with limited resources (more cardboard, really?), having a spotter that was not spotting from prone would help a lot. At least sitting, maybe standing better. I did notice that in no wind the vert seemed to increase, mirage a suspect? As the breeze picked up the vert diminished somewhat. Not saying cause and effect but some vert with two different rifles with sweet spot loads did show less than 1.0" vert. at 200 yards. Or maybe just coincidence four times in a row? Of course, the only way to find out is go to the range and shoot. :mrgreen:

Wondering if Aviator is trying his hand a comedy? :?

Maybe he should stick to engineering and shooting? :roll:
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

It would seem to me that if you used a refridg door the bullet holes would be a lot more clear than cardboard.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Nice try Powderburner, but, Aviator has already crowded the field of wannabe comedians. :lol:
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well DD, perhaps I misunderstood your problem!

I thought you were complaining that after getting a few holes in the target, you were having trouble deciphering which one of the existing holes later bullets were slipping thru. My thinking that you may want to have a fresh target every now and then was geared to help with that problem.

But now I suspect that you were complaining that every one of your bullets goes thru the same hole! Can't help you with that one, as that never happens to me! What a horrible problem to have! :shock:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yes, yes, exactly Aviator...........when on the down scope in prone shooting and spotting, as the overall bullet holes in the target are touching and the hole only slightly increases incrementally with succeeding shots it is difficult to determine which shot made the last slight increase in bullet hole size. As in seven or eight .44 caliber bullets all striking the paper in about a half inch square one is left with the only option of lumping them all together. And, half inch square is essentially .50 caliber so a .44 caliber bullet (40 cal also) could easily slip through the hole without marking the target at all. Seems even at 200 yards that only becomes a problem in constant condition of wind and mirage so then it doesn't always present such a conundrum. :roll:

AND, how in the world by the way, could one string measure such a group? :?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Thanks much for the input Mr. McDowell.

Actually Don, I tried something similar and especially with the 40 caliber and the mirage it is just nigh on to impossible to see the bullet holes in the black from prone at 200 yards, especially when they are closely grouped.