A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Post by desert deuce »

I heard a persistent rumor that someone has high/low problems as in random vertical dispersion.

You know like bullets don't make holes in the sky? Especially in Big Sky Country. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Bottom line is the targets are too small. And it’s frustrating to not be able to tell where the hits are. Advantage - paper. But you still have to hit the paper!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm I heard a persistent rumor that someone has high/low problems as in random vertical dispersion.
I think your medium has been indulging in the wrong kind of spirits !!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Perhaps you might make an effort to tamp down those rumors by restricting the impact of your errant projectiles to the confines of the landfill.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

perhaps you could find an old barn :D art
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, Old SEMTAV just does the best he can with what he has at present to do with. :cry: Or do without as the case may be :?

In the interest of collegiality I made a significant change in my target material to sort of be as close as at one with SEMTAV as possible.

Cracky, I could not find a suitable derelict appliance of any color, so, I said to myself, what would be a suitable accommodation here that would somewhat resemble SEMTAV's exploits there? I first thought of an outhouse painted white but decided that was too useful to damage. (Hope SEMTAV doesn't pick up on that idea. :shock: )

Best I could do was Freezer Paper, yes, you know the kind that is wax on one side and white parchment type paper on the other. Simple, just tear off a long sheet and staple it to the 2' x 3' cardboard, waxed side against the cardboard, and you have a flat white simulation of a white appliance in profile. :mrgreen:

BTW, works really well. So that's my effort at go along to get along this year. :D
semtav

Post by semtav »

What the hell ???
Here I was minding my own business and ,.....???
semtav

Post by semtav »

What's that old saying?
Great minds think alike??? Or is it small minds run in small circles,??
I was just thinking, since the brown cardboard has a tendency of absorbing the bull if the light isn't just right, I might have to try some freezer paper for a backing!!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Just trying to be helpful and level the playing field Old Pard. :wink:
Looking back even further, wasn't the group reporting done on High in inches and Wide in inches?
Seem to remember some very tidy nice groups posted.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I just re-read the article. Before now I would load up 5 rounds of the same load, then do that in 1 grain increments for 6 different loads and go to the range with 30 rounds to test in 5 shot groups. I would take about 10 sighters also. Pretty time consuming and sometimes a waste of not only time but supplies. I have just received a case of Swiss 1F. I think I will try this method on the next calm weekend with my Meacham 45-100 and a Ron Smith gain twist barrel to see what I can come up with for the 2022 season with PP bullets.

Hopefully attend some more LR matches next year. This year was very enjoyable at LR even though it was just 1 spring weekend in Lodi.

I’m dying to shoot this beast.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Kevin, I personally do not know squat about developing paper patched loads for a 45-2.6 with 1F powder.

However, there are probably several folks visiting here that can render some advice and hopefully they will do so.