A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Rix

A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Post by Michael Rix »

In the latest edition of the Black Powder Cartridge News, Fall 2021, Rick Moritz authors one of the clearest descriptions of how the rifle barrel vibrates while the bullet is traveling to the end of the muzzle and the effect it has on the bullet impact down range to create the least vertical spread on the target. In other words, load development.
I use a close variation of the load development method Rick describes and it is good to see it written and described in a very easy to read and understand essay.
Check it out.
Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Maj. Forrest Smith

Re: A good load development piece by R Moritz, BPCN

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

I started reading it last night. Need to reread it a second time now. Interesting stuff!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Good article.
Rick has always been very generous in helping others with info on loading. Especially with a 38-50.
Glenn
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks. I haven't been reading "the news" for several years but I might renew my subscription for that one. Not to many people have a better handle on this sport than Rick.

Chris.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm hoping more of these people who have found success in this sport will put what they have learned to print for the benefit of all now and in the future.
I was always hoping Dan Theodore would put all his experimenting and research to a volume or two , that would have been a very interesting read indeed but others will just have to step up and fill the void. I'm glad to see Wasserburger contributing in this regard and good on him for it!
I hope Gullo, Chillson and Mate to name a few others will also consider doing so !
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well Mike, if you have been reading Black Powder Cartridge News Magazine the information would be like your wish coming true. :wink:

Of course, if you are not reading Black Powder Cartridge News Magazine you would be or are, uninformed. :roll:

Kind of a no brainer don't you think? :?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm talking about book form for my gun library not just articles in magazine publications because if your like me you can't find the right magazine when you want to revisit the article in a stack of magazines you save because of it. I know if I were more organized I'd cut the article out and file it away but I never seem to get around to doing so. A book in my library would be more thorough , easily located and referenced. My guess is that this is pretty much the same scenario for a lot of us.
All of these folks know ever so much more than could be shared in and article alone and I'm interested in more of what they think.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Been there done that Mike. Just another history book. In your case waiting with hope on it's being written, printed and offered for sale.

AND once you receive it, it is already history, the longer it sits on your shelf the more out of step with the times and new developments it becomes.

Gunlaker is who should be writing about shooting the contemporary components in the old cartridges in BPCN. So, get with it Chris. :D
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:33 pm Gunlaker is who should be writing about shooting the contemporary components in the old cartridges in BPCN. So, get with it Chris. :D
Maybe after I've renewed my subscription and read a few issues :-)

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Oh, c'mon man, you are already ahead of the times. 8)
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

While I appreciate the logic of this method of load development, I think it applies more to the best of us. I think for the rank and file using the same concepts with three and five shot groups will work better. My reasoning is that one shot groups for less than stellar shooters (of which I belong) will be meaningless.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Michael Johnson wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:47 pm While I appreciate the logic of this method of load development, I think it applies more to the best of us. I think for the rank and file using the same concepts with three and five shot groups will work better. My reasoning is that one shot groups for less than stellar shooters (of which I belong) will be meaningless.
I think that could be true. I also think that could be true for anyone on given days. If I am not feeling up to it upon arrival at the range or if the conditions are poor for testing, it is better to pack it up and save the carefully crafted test ammo for another day.
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Lying on the shooting mat, favorite rifle shouldered, well tested and known load chambered, boom, "oh crap, that didn't look too good !"
After a brief interlude your spotter snickers and exclaims, "that's an X. Try shooting another ugly one."

Next shot, really bear down, perfect position, uniform grip, crystal clear sight picture, highly controlled release, boom, target down, "boy that one really looked good spotter, right down the middle."

The spotter then reports, "They are scoring it a miss, high."

I ask, did you see any dirt?

Spotter, "Yep, right down the middle all right, good windage but over the top."

Moral of story, the bullet does not always go where you think it should have gone. And that's just the way it is and always will be. :wink:

This past Saturday, shooting with Chip Mate silhouette at Tucson Rifle Club. Chip had a shot fall way short of target. Later I had two do the same thing. What caused that? Unknown. But that was three bullets that did not go where they should have gone out of 80 shots fired.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

DD, I find your comments reassuring, as most of my shots have been mysteries lately.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

DD, I find your comments reassuring, as most of my shots have been mysteries lately.