Groove diameter paper patch

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

patchbox

Re: Groove diameter paper patch

Post by patchbox »

I can seat the 3 wrap bullet with a thumb push but the 4 wrap bullet requires the use of the cartridge seating tool.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

I can seat the 3 wrap bullet with a thumb push but the 4 wrap bullet requires the use of the cartridge seating tool.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Cool beans. I might have to give that a try
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yes, it allowed me to use the same diameter bullet for both bore diameter and bore diameter plus. My Shilo 45-70 shoots the best groups with bullet I’m using with about 72 gns of O.E. - any more powder than that and group size starts to open up. With my bore diameter PPB’s seated into the cartridge about 1/8” I could not get enough compression without using more wads or a filler - I didn’t want to do that so this allows me to seat bullet farther into the case than with the slightly under bore diameter load. I would like to to try a larger diameter bullet, say in the .447” range and seat to same depth as the 3 & 4 wrap loads but just use the standard 2 wrap method. That’s what I like about this sport - never a lack of variations to try and experiment with.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Consider the fact your paper will not be cut through with that much thickness of paper vrs rifling depth,

Giving uneven bullet upset. :shock: try that at 800-900-1000 yards

Fat bullet thin paper…..anyone tells you otherwise is full of it.

Just saying.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yeah,
You’re right - I need to go with a larger diameter bullet and stick with 2 wraps of thinner paper.