Annealing machine

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gbahny

Annealing machine

Post by gbahny »

What is the easiest to use and best unit on the market for annealing brass
38-72

Re: Annealing machine

Post by 38-72 »

I really like my bench source annealer. It's fast and easy to setup.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I have a Bench Source too and it's generally regarded as the best of the torch annealers. It works very well and is super consistent. It is also about the best machine you can use for annealing a big pile of brass in a hurry....You, as the operator however, have to make the settings to ensure that the thing works. "Garbage in-garbage out" as they say.....

I have several buddies shooting long range precision (modern bottleneck rounds) and they are all going to the induction type machines. One in particular that I watched...you set it up by "sacrificing" a piece of brass...basically, it cooks the brass to oblivion, but the computer scanner in the thing analyzes it and then every subsequent piece is annealed to perfection. Pretty trippy but over my head....
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

If I were purchasing an annealer now I’d most likely pick the Annealeez annealer or the relatively new AGS annealer due to price. With that said I have a Bench Source annealer and love it. I purchased one shortly after it became available (mid 2013). Since I anneal after each match I've annealed approximately 10,000 cases with it without a hitch. For an overview and discussion on all the available annealers as of early 2021 see my article at the following link: http://www.texas-mac.com/Annealing_BPCR_Case_Necks.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thought my Bench Source was a great machine. However, since they stopped selling direct and their resellers need to make their $150+ & shipping it would be, as Wayne listed, AGS or Annealeez these days.
Assume induction is fine, but I prefer to stay away from their power supplies, etc. I'm happier burning down the house with a propane torch. :lol:
Glenn
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

https://fluxeon.com/product/annie-induction-annealer/ I have been using this one for a couple of years now. I really like it. Water cooled induction annealer which means you can pretty much anneal as many cases as you want in a sitting. I used to use the torch and socket method which works but this for me is much faster. Plus for whatever reason I seem to shoot more master scores after using an induction annealer as apposed to the way I was doing it which prompted me to get one.
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

Hi

I changed my Bench Source for an induction "Annealing Made Perfect"

WOW !! IMHO This is the best

Gerald
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Inasmuch as I don't do any sizing of the brass, I don't see what useful effect annealing can have on the cartridge cases. I calculate that my .40 cal cases have been fired 60 shots or more each, and have NEVER been annealed, what benefits can I gain? Certainly the hardness of the case necks cannot change between one firing and the next, since no dimensional changes have been induced.

I have done a fair amount of annealing of brass, after extensive re-forming, etc. and find it useful. But what benefit can accrue to annealing cases that are neither sized or otherwise stressed during or after firing?

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Inasmuch as I don't do any sizing of the brass, I don't see what useful effect annealing can have on the cartridge cases. I calculate that my .40 cal cases have been fired 60 shots or more each, and have NEVER been annealed, what benefits can I gain? Certainly the hardness of the case necks cannot change between one firing and the next, since no dimensional changes have been induced.

I have done a fair amount of annealing of brass, after extensive re-forming, etc. and find it useful. But what benefit can accrue to annealing cases that are neither sized or otherwise stressed during or after firing?

CHRIS
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

If your not sizing your brass at all then you may not gain anything…… I have no clue.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I was wondering the same thing Chris.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I asked DT the same question one time, answer: It keeps your case mouth soft enough to seal to the chamber wall every time, and keeps it consistent. If you have cases not sealing to the chamber wall you can see the black on the sides of the upper half of the outside of the case. You can tell it is gases blowing by in between the case and the chamber wall. You will know for sure your cases need annealing at that point. I anneal every time I load, but I'm sizing the brass.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Based on discussions with Dan T. who recommended annealing after each firing, several years ago I bought my Bench Source annealer. At the time & for several subsequent years I shot a Browning .40-65 which required resizing & neck expansion to properly fit the chamber/throat. I was also using some neck tension. I noticed accuracy dropped off after a few firings. Dan indicated it was due to the inconsistency of the hardening necks releasing the bullet. Rather than attempting to determine how many firings was required to significantly affect accuracy I decided to anneal all the time since it was fast and easy with the annealer. I’m currently shooting both a Shiloh Sharps .40-65 & a Browning .45-70 using fire-formed cases (no resizing) & with finger seated bullets (only the lube holds the bullets in place). Annealing after each firing may not provide the same benefit under these conditions but I continue to do it out of habit more than anything, again because it’s so easy with the Bench Source.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I don't size my ctgs, and have fired each one of the lot probably 60-70 times. No smoking of the necks, and the bullets slide nicely into the necks and stay there. So I've never felt any temptation to size or anneal the necks. I'm talking about a 40-65, only sized and trimmed when forming the cases from REM 45-70. A few of them stretched a few thousandths the first couple of firings, but not after that. I believe that if I were to anneal them, there would be LOTS of stretching.
CHRIS