Fire Forming

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Re: Fire Forming

Post by High Desert Hunter »

DD, I have a lot of the 415s cast up, and the trigger time will do me good. Clarence, I will definitely look into that!

Dave
High Desert Hunter

So I ordered a .460 expander plug from BACO, see how well that works out.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yeahhbutt, you don't have to go to the range to do it, no targets needed, and one patch down the bore and done.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

A load of powder and a thick wax wad.
50gunner

Post by 50gunner »

Don McDowell wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am That's not an uncommon problem with brass fired in chambers other than the Shiloh.
You can either resize and then fireform and hope they don't stick, or just use a separate brand of brass for the Shiloh.
That's what i did getting started with my Shiloh 45-70 #3 Sporter, the ones that wouldn't fit went to an 1892 year model '86 Winchester half round short rifle, that damn lever gun will eat anything.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP, size the .45-70 brass in a .45-90 die. Works the brass less :!:
Did you anneal the casemouth?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

50gunner wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 am
Don McDowell wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:45 am That's not an uncommon problem with brass fired in chambers other than the Shiloh.
You can either resize and then fireform and hope they don't stick, or just use a separate brand of brass for the Shiloh.
That's what i did getting started with my Shiloh 45-70 #3 Sporter, the ones that wouldn't fit went to an 1892 year model '86 Winchester half round short rifle, that damn lever gun will eat anything.
Gunner, with 4 45-70's lounging around this place, I have to keep 3 different brass on hand. The good thing is the brass from the Winchester BPCR and the Shiloh can be interchanged. The brass from the others won't even begin to chamber in those two, because of the difference in chamber diameter at the base of the case, resizing can fix that.
Had a worse problem when there were 3 40-65's here. None of those would interchange, and resizing only partially worked.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
High Desert Hunter

I need the trigger time, and I don't want to just use up primers without sending a bullet downrange.

Dave
50gunner

Post by 50gunner »

LOL Don, BTDT too with my 40-65's, what the Shiloh wont eat another 1894 year model '86 in 40-65 will, glad those canyon chambers are around to eat the slop, that's okay, they're both only 125 yard max hunting rifles.