How do you tranport your rifles to the range?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ScrapMetal

Re: How do you tranport your rifles to the range?

Post by ScrapMetal »

kenny sd wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm Shiloh buffalo leather hinged slip on cover. Qugley style; I gotta be me. or Tom Seleck, or someone....Ken
I like those as well and they certainly win for both style and light weight. I suppose that the main reason I steered away from these is that I was worried about buggering up the LR Soule sight attached to my sharps. The Pelican case, though a bit awkward and heavy, seems more likely to get the rifle to the range in the same condition that it was in when it left the house.

JMHO

-Ron
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

In other words, function over form. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 pm In other words, function over form. :wink:

Well sure, if you want to be succinct but where is the fun in that? :wink: :mrgreen:

-Ron
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Ron, apparently you have not dealt with or priced a competent gun smith these days. :shock:
Not only are they a bit rare they are also in demand and backed up, so, simple repairs can take quite a while. :(
Doesn't do any good to ask how long the repair will take either, generally speaking they don't know.
Qualifying that, they know pretty much how long the repair will take they just don't know when they will get aroundtoit. :roll:
In today's market Pelican does stand out. I think your rifles will be happy. :D

Kinda like staying out of a doctors office and hospital these days.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I always use the case that came from Shiloh when I take just one rifle to the range, but I've decided to build a lightweight case out of light wood to transport two, even three rifles on long trips. The case will be made to securely stow the rifles with their sights facing up, this way my rifle I use with a MVA scope will be safe(r), and I'll never have to remove the scope every trip. Whatever blows your skirt up.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

For competition rifles, I have always made fitted wood cases. Less bulky and more protective than most of the plastic "one-size-fits-all" cases, and one can make ad hoc spaces for all the needed accessories. Extra sights, wiping rod, chamber flag, accessories for ML, whatever....This space for all the stuff you need to run the rifle is the main convenience. Since it resides in the case, it is always THERE when needed. Cheap hardware, and glue canvas or duck on the outside -- give it a couple coats of polyurethane, and they are quite durable. For a good wool lining, go to the GoodWill store and buy a ladies winter coat in blue, red, or green, and glue it in. Don't use cheap fabric store "felt" -- it is dyed with salt mordants and will rust hell out of the gun.

Anyone with a table saw can easily build one of these in a couple of evenings. White pine frame, 1/4" plywood panels, box-corners, and you get quite a durable case. Avoid the cute brass corners than are available to screw onto cases like this -- they will eat up your floors with the protruding metal. The varnished canvas will give it ample protection against years of use. Disadvantage is that 6-8 of these take up a lot of space in the gun-room. I use similar cases for several sporting shotguns, but put the shotguns in the rack and the cases in the attic.

CHRIS
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Chris, that’s very interesting! Can you post a couple of photos? This sounds like a good winter project.
Mike
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

MIKE:
I have been thinking that a "good winter project" would be to write an article on making rifle cases for ASSRA journal. A friend has offered to do the photos.

CHRIS
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Excellent, Chris. I’m looking forward to seeing plans/designs.
My two sons are owners in a finishing building contractor business here. They use a lot of synthetic materials that are both stronger and lighter than natural wood. I’m looking forward to building a single, and double, gun box that can stow a rifle(s) upright in. And, as has been mentioned here, also common range items.

Robert
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0006.JPG
Here's a rifle case I made for one of my long scoped rifles. Lot's of fun to make, but it's more fragile than my Pelican case, so it mostly stays home.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My goodness, that’s first cabin! You’re very talented to say the least. Thnx for sharing this.
Robert