Fouling Question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Fouling Question

Post by mongo40 »

Couple a quick questions, If shooting PPB is it necessary to wipe after every shot or can you use a blow tube? Second when shooting greasers backed by a grease cookie is it necessary to use a blow tube? I'd think the fouling would be soft from the cookie.
Thanks
Chris
Chris Wilson
bryany

Re: Fouling Question

Post by bryany »

It depends on how much accuracy is required for your next shot. For hunting, you may be able to develop loads that permit 2 or 3 shots without any effort. For match shooting, I would think you'd want every assistance to hit center.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

purpose of the GG bullet its to distribute grease so you shouldn't need a cookie behind that unless your trying to use up room. On a PPB that is bore dia you will have to wipe if its set in the bore and no grease cookie is used, even then you may still have to wipe, to get "good" accuracy. If you use a groove dia PPB and a grease cookie you "should" be fine but, I would still wipe unless your hunting and need a second shot to put said animal down.

Only trying will tell you for sure, adjusting your load for a second shot may be needed if you dont want to wipe. Remember what works in 80deg heat with humidity may not work in 40deg and no humidity weather.....

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

When shooting greasers I could control the fouling reasonably well with blow tubing. When I started experimenting with bore diameter PPB’s wiping after every shot tightened up my groups considerably. I had a lot of tight chambering and patch tearing if I didn’t wipe after every shot. There are a couple of bore wiping systems out there that work well. BACO sells a system that works pretty well. It’s a one and done - push the bore wiper through with a cleaning rod with a patch on the end of that to dry the chamber and barrel. Push it thru till it drops out the end of the barrel into a bucket - ready for the next shot. I swore I would never wipe after every shot until I started shooting paper patch- for me it makes a huge difference in group size.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Wiping after every shot is the easiest way to insure consistent barrel conditions for the next shot. Blow tubing is more difficult since drier conditions mean more breaths. I could be wrong but I think this is the consensus of a lot of shooters that decided to shoot after every shot. I have of some excellent results of people who blow tube so it is more of a personal choice of what works for you.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

*meant decided to wipe after every shot.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

*meant I have heard of some people getting excellent results with blow tubing.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

There is no right or wrong way but there are ways that give better results. Experiment, experiment, experiment - the results will tell you what to do.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

If you search out bore pigs or bore critters, on the website you can make your own pretty cheaply.
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Ive tried blow tubing and once you get your system of wiping down, it take roughly the same amount of time and ensures your barrel is clean for the next shot, or at a min, the fouling is soft as to not tear your PP. Nothing wrong with grease cookies some have had tremendous success with them!!

I would suggest Kenny's book, its very informative on these things......

matt
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

a note:
my Shiloh 40 70 SS , standard bbl. 30 inch.
PP bullets cleaning BT shots, OK but not great.
GG bullets, no cleaning BT shots, three breaths with a blow tube. very accurate.
after 5, two damp and one dry, using just water/ soap on rags, kept in a plastic freezer bag.

NOW, with the Shiloh .408 bore, I was using .408 GG. accurate but some flyers. .
I just went to the BA 409 396 1/16 mix SPG lube.
1 3/4 inch groups from the first test groups.

I think the .409 is better than the .408 diameter

just thinking. Ken
Woody

Post by Woody »

What distance?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

100 because that's what we have here in Florida
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

100 yards, tells you exactly nothing about a Bpcr rifle’s capabilities. In the accuracy dept.

200 yards is a good beginning, 600 sorts the wheat from the chaff. :P

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Ditto, what Kenny wrote.

You can do a fair job setting a more or less no wind zero at 100 yards but even load development starts at 200 yards or meters because of those little steel chickens.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!