Which Swiss powder?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ScrapMetal

Which Swiss powder?

Post by ScrapMetal »

Now that it is "unobtanium" I'm looking to pick up some Swiss black powder. 2F has been suggested for my .45-70s and .44-100 which is fine but I see that there are three different options, regular, Caviar Ball, and Schuetzen. Which of these is the preferred powder and why.

It may be a while before I can actually get my hands on some but it will help to know what I should be getting.

Thanks,

-Ron
GrumpyBear

Re: Which Swiss powder?

Post by GrumpyBear »

I use regular Swiss 1 1/2 in everything from 40-65 up to 45-100.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

1 12 Swiss. me too.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

1 12 Swiss. me too.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Maybe you should get serious and take the long view and buy whatever is availible NOW. Whatever swiss 1.5 fg that was availible 2 weeks ago is now stored in somebodies garage / basement or in shipment on a fed ex truck somewhere. Your a day late and more than a dollar short. With Goex closing the entire market has now been shifted to swiss and schutzen and that comes by boat. And as others have said the harbored freight to the US is now being manipulated by the unions and the bidenistas. Good luck.
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Out of curiosity I was looking online last night late. I saw some Swiss available and some Schuetzen. Don't recall where at the moment.
For your purposes probably either brand in 1.5 F or 2 F will get your brass dirty enough to make you happy.

By this time next month that will be the least of your worries.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

Thanks Gumpy, that's good to know.

Bobw, Since Goex is no longer available what would you suggest for "buy whatever is availible NOW"? I've looked in a fair number of places and could not find any black powder of any usable type in stock.

DD, you must be looking in places I haven't found yet. It seems like all the cupboards are bare! :(

Still, I would like to know the differences/use between the three powders. :wink:

Thanks,

-Ron
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

There are several quality aspects to black powder. Purity of ingredients, particularly the nitrate. Fine-ness of incorporation. Regularity of grain size.
Density of compaction. Swiss has been in the fore-front of these, IMHO.

CHRIS
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

ScrapMetal asked: "I see that there are three different options, regular, Caviar Ball, and Schuetzen. Which of these is the preferred powder and why."

In qualifying an answer I am reduced to presenting an opinion based on observation of shooter preferences using black powder exclusively and my understanding of the purpose you propose to apply the powder to. I understand you seek to use black powder exclusively in black powder cartridge rifles in .44 & .45 caliber for midrange use, that is from 600 yards to the muzzle of the rifle. Silhouette is from 200-500 Meters. (Long Range is 800 yards and over.)

Perusing the equipment lists found in Black Powder Cartridge News the preponderance of use is regular grade Swiss 1.5 F and 2 F for both midrange target and silhouette. Why? Because those are the powders that competitors report using, and that only includes competitors that report what they use and those reports that find their way into print. General reading on this forum tends to indicate the same.

My "guess" is they use Swiss 1.5 and 2 F is because they and others have success with it and Swiss is generally available over time when applied to their individual needs. (Which includes lot to lot consistency) Those two granulations then appear to best satisfy the wants and needs of this segment of the competitive and hobby shooting population.
semtav

Post by semtav »

That was almost like shooting at the wrong target DD!!!

Scrapmetal:
The majority of us have only dealt with regular Swiss, but I've heard the caviar is fine. Right now I'd just get whichever one you can, and if you have the option, stick with the regular Swiss.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

NICE TRY SEMTAV: There you go, off into the wild rose colored yonder again.
Here we keep trying to educate you up and you keep falling back into a dump.

The question proposed is this: "Which of these is the preferred powder and why."

I know it is difficult for you to stay on target, but, this is a staying on the subject question. Please, pay attention. :roll:
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

Thanks guy, that's more of what I was looking for, what everyone one else is using.

Unfortunately from what I am reading it may be a LONG time before anything is back in stock, at least until spring. :(

-Ron
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

ScrapMetal wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:39 am Thanks guy, that's more of what I was looking for, what everyone one else is using.

Unfortunately from what I am reading it may be a LONG time before anything is back in stock, at least until spring. :(

-Ron
Have you called back creek gun shop in Winchester VA?
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:43 pm

I know it is difficult for you to stay on target, but, this is a staying on the subject question. Please, pay attention. :roll:
Have you seen a difference between caviar and regular Swiss?? I don't see that broken down in the equipment lists.
Landfill shooters would like to know !!! :idea:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Surprised you didn't interject Elephant and Kik. Observing your latest door groups looks like you may have exhausted that supply. :(