An excellent example of a ladder test

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

An excellent example of a ladder test

Post by TexasMac »

This is a little off the subject of this forum but I thought some of you would like to see an excellent example of the results of a ladder test, in this case it was with a muzzleloader. It should be obvious that the “sweet spot” is 75grs. I was pleasantly surprised as to the accuracy of the rifle. I shot a deer with it last year using 90grs and used it many years ago in muzzleloader matches around the Austin area. The Yaupon Creek Silhouette Association (YCSA) will be holding a 1st ever Thanksgiving muzzleloader “turkey shoot” around middle of Nov. So I pulled the rifle down off the hooks above the fireplace to work up a load for the match. For the test I mounted a Leatherwood vintage style 8X scope although the match will be limited to iron sights. BTW, I use the same technique to determine the best load for my BPC rifles, but out to 200yds. I’ve previously posted some of the results here.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
TexasMac

Re: An excellent example of a ladder test

Post by TexasMac »

Due to the results another sweet spot may be around 90 or 95grs which may be good for deer hunting but not necessary for target shooting. BTW, when running ladder tests with several BPCRs it's common to find a couple of sweet spots separated by several grains of powder.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Excellent test! Your 75 gr sweet spot should be just the ticket, giving you a range of charge weighs several grains wide. Nice job!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Working up a muzzle loader load that is accurate is different than cartridge. Accuracy can change dramatically from a mild target load to a heavy hunting charge, that is usually do to the patch failing to seal. It is imperative that fired patches be found and "read" . Torn and blown patches must be addressed by a change in fabric weave and/or ball diameter. Also a improper muzzle crown, rough bore etc. may cut the patch on loading. Many different variables to consider. Micro adjustment in powder charges are not as important in these slow twist barrels as say a 1-18" BPCR.
My latest accuracy trials in the .58 Hawken took 6 or so various fabrics and 4 mold ball sizes to arrived at a combo that's shoots well at 100+ yds with a heavy hunting load. The American Long rifle forum has endless posts on patch, ball, lube, muzzle crowns etc.
kw
BFD

Post by BFD »

Wayne,
I'd love to see a repeat (actually several repeats) of your ladder test. Right now, you have a sample of 1. But will it repeat the same way every time? That would be interesting to know.