Silhouette matches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

srkmarine1101

Silhouette matches

Post by srkmarine1101 »

Question for those of you that shoot silhouette matches-- Are rifles allowed to shoot that weigh more than 12 lb 2 oz? Or are you allowed to shoot and your scores just don't count?

Thanks!
TexasMac

Re: Silhouette matches

Post by TexasMac »

The 12lb 2oz applies to NRA sanctioned matches for iron sights. The scope sight rifle weight limit is 15lbs for NRA sanctioned matches. For non NRA sanctioned matches it depends on the rules of your local club. For example, we never worry about weight limits or weighing rifles at the Yaupon Creek Silhouette Assoc. (YCSA) monthly matches. But if we were to hold a sanctioned match & someone showed up with an overweight rifle or one with a scope that did not conform to NRA rules, he/she would be allowed to shoot but the score would not be counted.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
srkmarine1101

Post by srkmarine1101 »

Thanks. I am leaning towards just getting the rifle I really want and not worrying about it. The only range near me that does shoots (winnequah gun club in Lodi WI) does not lost anything on their website about specific rules. I'm think they likely don't weigh guns.

TexasMac wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:56 pm The 12lb 2oz applies to NRA sanctioned matches for iron sights. The scope sight rifle weight limit is 15lbs for NRA sanctioned matches. For non NRA sanctioned matches it depends on the rules of your local club. For example, we never worry about weight limits or weighing rifles at the Yaupon Creek Silhouette Assoc. (YCSA) monthly matches. But if we were to hold a sanctioned match & someone showed up with an overweight rifle or one with a scope that did not conform to NRA rules, he/she would be allowed to shoot but the score would not be counted.

Wayne
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

All that TM said is true. Something to think about though is shooting off-hand. You don't say what it is 'you want' but to shoot a match you need to shoot the chickens off-hand. I find that hard enough with my 12 lb. rifles let alone one with a 16 lb. barrel for instance. Just sayin'. On the other hand doing all the things necessary to prepare for a match and then knowing you're disqualified before you leave the house would get old real quick for me. YMMV

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Shooting AT chickens is probably considered as optional by many, anyway. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
srkmarine1101

Post by srkmarine1101 »

I keep hearing about those darn chickens.... They sound elusive.
desert deuce wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:03 pm Shooting AT chickens is probably considered as optional by many, anyway. :roll:
srkmarine1101

Post by srkmarine1101 »

I keep hearing about those darn chickens.... They sound elusive.
desert deuce wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:03 pm Shooting AT chickens is probably considered as optional by many, anyway. :roll:
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

srkmarine: ask the match director about what silhouette rules the club follows/adheres to, especially if you will shoot Black Powder. The club website says “High Power” Silhouette, which has a 2.5 minute firing period for a bank of five animals. Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette has a five-minute period for a bank of five animals. My understanding for the shooting period time difference is to allow BPCR shooters to clean in between rounds and make any necessary sight changes.

For those interested, on-line copy of NRA silhouette rules:

https://competitions.nra.org/media/7825 ... lebook.pdf
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I never weigh rifles at out matches but I see a lot with stickers on them at places they have been weighed like Alma. If I were to weight them I wouldn’t be a stickler about it. If the rifle is close I would give it a pass just because I want everyone to be able to shoot. Having said that we don’t have any huge matches at our place if we did then I suppose I would have to start doing it. . When I order a rifle though I do make sure to tell the builder that above all else it must make weight for silhoette. My Shiloh with its DR front sight mva rear long range staff and magnum Hadley eye cup weighs 12&2oz :shock: That’s what it weighed in at the National shoot anyways.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I brought two rifles to the Nationals this year. I wasn't sure that my 77 Shiloh with irons would make weight. It did exactly. When I ordered it, I was only concerned that it made Target Rifle weight which is more generous. I had my High Wall with me as "plan B". The same with my new 74 Shiloh. I spect'ed it without any provision for iron sights. Scope only.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Have not yet found the need to weigh rifles at our BPTR matches with the more liberal rules for target shooting.

Do think rifles should be weighed for regional and other large BPCR matches with their more restrictive requirements. If we are not going to follow the rules for weight then we should allow Borchardt and Farquharson and other actions to shoot. Should not be up to the match director as to which rules to follow. Should either follow them or not.
Glenn
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

At Lodi the equipment and match rules follow NRA BPTR rules except as listed on the registration forms and the exceptions may vary from match to match. I have only ever seen rifles weighed one time in the past 26 years. Mark and Cliff want everyone to be able to shoot and I can't imagine they would not allow you to shoot with any BPTR/cartridge and a safe load. It would be a good idea to check with one of them before you show up just in case or if you have specific questions. I can give your contact info if you need it.

We would be happy to have you come and join us, that is for sure.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

srkmarine1101,
FWIW,
Lodi has only Long range and Midrange BPTR matches.
No Silhouette BPCR matches are currently held.
They do, however have a range formerly used for Hi Power Silhouette shoots/BPCR with steel swinger silhouettes a person can shoot at.
I believe they only allow club members to shoot on the swingers. and guests WITH members.
beltfed/arnie
srkmarine1101

Post by srkmarine1101 »

Thanks for the info! Would love to join you guys out there at Lodi. I sure wish they'd start accepting applications again. Applied early this year after I shot there with a member, never heard anything. Tuff to find other places around here (SW Wi) that allow any shooting past 100 or 200yds.

I would definitely appreciate the contact info.

Thanks!

Distant Thunder wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:47 am At Lodi the equipment and match rules follow NRA BPTR rules except as listed on the registration forms and the exceptions may vary from match to match. I have only ever seen rifles weighed one time in the past 26 years. Mark and Cliff want everyone to be able to shoot and I can't imagine they would not allow you to shoot with any BPTR/cartridge and a safe load. It would be a good idea to check with one of them before you show up just in case or if you have specific questions. I can give your contact info if you need it.

srkmarine1101

Post by srkmarine1101 »

Thanks for the info! Would love to join you guys out there at Lodi. I sure wish they'd start accepting applications again. Applied early this year after I shot there with a member, never heard anything. Tuff to find other places around here (SW Wi) that allow any shooting past 100 or 200yds.

I would definitely appreciate the contact info.

Thanks!

Distant Thunder wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:47 am At Lodi the equipment and match rules follow NRA BPTR rules except as listed on the registration forms and the exceptions may vary from match to match. I have only ever seen rifles weighed one time in the past 26 years. Mark and Cliff want everyone to be able to shoot and I can't imagine they would not allow you to shoot with any BPTR/cartridge and a safe load. It would be a good idea to check with one of them before you show up just in case or if you have specific questions. I can give your contact info if you need it.