Old Goex Fg vs. new Goex Fg

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Old Goex Fg vs. new Goex Fg

Post by opencountry »

I’ve finally used up all of my stock of Goex Fg in the steel 1# steel cans, and beginning to work with the newer Goex Fg in the plastic 1# cans. I’m already noticing that the newer Fg has more bulk to it, requiring more compression with the same weight of powder. Am I looking at any drastic differences as far as velocity between the two, any hazards to be aware of? Any help on this would be good to learn before going any further.
Thanks,
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Lumpy Grits

Re: Old Goex Fg vs. new Goex Fg

Post by Lumpy Grits »

What's the weight difference between the two using the same amount of volume?
You do know that Goex has permanently shut down?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Well, that settled that. I just came in from the range; couldn’t sleep on it. The newer Goex powder in the plastic can shot the same size five-shot group at 100 yards as the old load at the same weight (111.0 grains) of the older Goex in the steel cans. Even had the same point of impact as well. Now, that’s quality control for you. I’m really hoping some rich business man will resurrect our old Goex plant somewhere in America!
Robert
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

That has been my experience too. No difference between the powder in plastic an metal cans/bottles. I've even compared with some old DuPont I have and it is about the same. Glad I have enough on hand to weather the storm.

George
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Right on. Btw, this is my 5-shot 100-yard group I was talking’ about above.
Yeah, I’m a lying dog too… :roll:
R
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Many years ago I had several pounds of 1 fg DuPont that I screened to remove the fines and It shot exceptionally well. Shinny grains graphite coated and softer fouling the current GOEX 1 fg. Shot the last of it in "Lucrezia" my 50-90 with a BACO 625 grain Creedmoor bullet at 105 grains. Olde Eynsford is exceptional in accuracy and soft fouling. Ordered 10 pounds shortly before the carp hit the fan so good for a while. Swiss is very accurate but harder fouling then the OE. I'll put aside several pounds of OE for hunting loads and then go to Swiss. A real shame that GOEX went under just when they finally had a great powder developed. I placed my order several months prior to the end of GOEX so got lucky.

oe....
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

Many years ago I had several pounds of 1 fg DuPont that I screened to remove the fines and It shot exceptionally well. Shinny grains graphite coated and softer fouling the current GOEX 1 fg. Shot the last of it in "Lucrezia" my 50-90 with a BACO 625 grain Creedmoor bullet at 105 grains. Olde Eynsford is exceptional in accuracy and soft fouling. Ordered 10 pounds shortly before the carp hit the fan so good for a while. Swiss is very accurate but harder fouling then the OE. I'll put aside several pounds of OE for hunting loads and then go to Swiss. A real shame that GOEX went under just when they finally had a great powder developed. I placed my order several months prior to the end of GOEX so got lucky.

oe....
bobw

Post by bobw »

Personally right now I think a guy ought to thankful as you can get for whatever bp you have. Worrying about whether it 's new or old lots is picking nits to the extreme. Bobw
bobw