16-1, 20-1

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: 16-1, 20-1

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

BACO just got a shipment of 8000# of Swiss :shock:

Like most everything you post, you’re either wrong or….totally out of touch. :roll:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That's good to hear Kenny! And Dave still sells it at a reasonable price. Up here I have only one source and he pumped the price to $60 a pound as soon as he heard the news about Goex.

Chris.
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

Ordered a case of 1.5F from them yesterday...along with 50# of 30-1 lead alloy
Bob Smith

Post by Bob Smith »

Paul, anyone who has ever met you or Spot would know that you are a true gentleman beyond doubt. As you stated, enough is enough. Hope to see you guys back on the western circuit this spring. Bob
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Hey Bob, as the saying goes 'if the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise' we'll be back. As a matter of fact just yesterday I was looking at the photos from that trip and thinking how it would be fun to do it again. As Kenny pointed out the other day to some extent it's now a matter of what we can afford compared to what we want to do. We'll sure give it a try.

You know almost every time I pick up that hi-wall I still think of you and the way you casually diagnosed my problem right there on the line in Vale, OR. And then to have the luck that the next stop in Sacramento Pat Connan would be there with his parts kit. Great memories, thanks for being part of them.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
whoop-up country

Post by whoop-up country »

Well Paul, looks like you survived the Blizzard. From what I saw on the news, it was pretty bad out there. Not as bad as the floods in BC, but still pretty ugly. I sure hope this isn't an indication on what the rest of the winter is going to be like. :shock:
Take care and I hope you didn't have any damage from the storm.

Bob
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

No damage Bob but our young pup learned to pee standing on three legs. We got away lucky this year, there wasn't any snow on the ground until now. The wind seems to have settled down some so in the morning I can have fun with my snowblower. Most often we have snow the end of October that's still here in April. I pray for those folks in BC, or anywhere else, who suffer a loss from flood or fire. I don't think I'd be the same man coming out of that. I trust you've made it through the virus alright and maybe we'll get t see one another again at the 'Q'. You take care too.

Paul
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

just read this again Deadeye, and I noticed that while you complained about my question, you didn't answer it.
and. you hijacked the thread to talk about your trips.....

and You are the one complaining???
Have a Merry Christmas and try hard not to annoy the other guys at the range. Ken
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I can promise you ol' Deadeye does not annoy the other guys at the range.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:58 pm Well, to repeat myself, you said you have a 3/8" group at 100 yards and that is the furthest you shoot so why would you even ask? If it ain't broke why fix it? You bought 6 lbs. of powder some time ago right after you bought the wood box and the other day you said you have 6 lbs. of powder which means you haven't done any shooting in months so why do you need more lead? If you buy your powder 3 or 6 lbs. at a time do you buy your lead 5 lbs. at a time? Are you just lonely? Is that why you keep asking these questions? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Paul
:lol: :lol:

I'm not lonely, Paul I've got 12 of those powder thingy's, & a 12x16 wood box to store them in :wink:
Plus I've got a bunch of 16/1 for everything, cept for some 25/1 for an oddball caliber, shoots more than 100yds.
I quit that 20/1, 16/1 is working better
Come to think of it, I've come into 100 lbs of pure lead somehow :wink:
Gonna have to buy me some tin for it, have you seen the price of tin lately :shock:

When he gets done, he won't be shooting either one, 16/1 or 20/1.
With a 3/8" group I need to be asking him questions :oops:
Would they be understandable, that's the question

Damit, I've got to type faster.

kenny sd wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:58 am and I noticed that while you complained about my question, you didn't answer it.
Was that by design, Paul :roll:
Good grief

kenny sd wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:58 am and try hard not to annoy the other guys at the range. Ken
Annoy the other guys :? Oh dear me
As they say, he don't know what he don't know

Paul, please use the powered snow thrower, if you should perish with a shovel in hand, you remember, I can't get across the border to attend your fixins

I suggest 5 mins work 1 hour rest :wink:

BTW, it's all the same for Griz, whether he'd be standing on 3 legs or trying to stretch standing on 1 :roll: :lol:

Sir Gentleman Paul "Annoy the other guys" Lawrence
Good grief
I don't think so
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

It's really cold here this morning, too cold to walk the dog so since I have nothing to do I'll answer this.

John Wayne is quoted as saying, "I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand." Kenny, if you will go back and read my first post AGAIN what I was trying to say is that as you only shoot at 100 yards and you claim to have achieved a 3/8" group the question is POINTLESS. All of your questions are. Your bore is .400 and you claim a .375 group, how do you improve on that? Alloy mix be damned. As one post said, "you are not here to learn" and when you ask questions like that it's pretty clear you only want to be heard.

After that post I received a PM from another member suggesting that I may be perceived to be picking on the 'village idiot' and as that wasn't like me I may want to leave it alone. This morning you proved him right and I am done with you.

Paul
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Well, I'm flattered that you took the time to look up ALL my posts. and then critique them, and yet didn't answer the original question.
I think I fell into a clique of guys. Like in the 7th grade. but I digress.

I ask questions from the experts to learn....Although I was an antique gunsmith for 25 years, I'm still learning.
As far as expertise. I was asked to restore and clean all the antique guns on display in RI many years ago. did it no charge for the fun of it.
worked on some nice pieces in the Newport Mansions. All While I was earning my Masters Degree in Gemology. So I don't like to think I'm the village 'idiot'.
Officer in the Army, Nam Vet, but I won't bore you....

guys, this is a site to share ideas, not to get into a 'hissy fit' if you don't like the question.
be safe, be kind and enjoy our little sport..
Ken
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Most of the time you will be further ahead trying both alloys and seeing for yourself. Tin percentages depend on a number of things, and unless you find someone who consistently shoots well with the same rifle and the same bullet it will just be a guess. As an example, the most accurate black powder targets I've ever shot at 200m were with a CPA using 20:1 Creedmoor bullets in 20:1, tapered for breech seating using plain Goex Fg. That info is basically useless to you.

I will say that if you are using pointy bullets, 16:1 will usually be better than 20:1, and sometimes the opposite is true for blunter style bullets, but not always.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

And one more data point. On any given day, Dave Gullo will almost certainly outshoot almost everyone on here. Except for Robert :-). As far as I remember, he is still using 20:1 for .45 cal Money bullets which is counter to the advice you'll often see. You can see images of his practice targets at 400 yards in the mold details on various molds on his site.

Chris.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Thanks Chris, that is the info I was looking for....
I have a lot of 20/1 and just used up all the 16/1 I had.
tomorrow I'll cast up a bunch of 20's and hope for the best.

stay well....and Merry Christmas....Ken