16-1, 20-1

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

16-1, 20-1

Post by kenny sd »

age old question. I have to buy lead again.
20 to 1 or continue with 16 to 1?
375 grain GG bullet for a 40 70 SS shot at 100 yards.
think it will make any difference at all..

thanks...Ken
DeadEye

Re: 16-1, 20-1

Post by DeadEye »

Well, to repeat myself, you said you have a 3/8" group at 100 yards and that is the furthest you shoot so why would you even ask? If it ain't broke why fix it? You bought 6 lbs. of powder some time ago right after you bought the wood box and the other day you said you have 6 lbs. of powder which means you haven't done any shooting in months so why do you need more lead? If you buy your powder 3 or 6 lbs. at a time do you buy your lead 5 lbs. at a time? Are you just lonely? Is that why you keep asking these questions? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

how about buy pure!! 17lbs of it in fact and add 1 roll of 95-5.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

There are a lot of silhouette revolver shooters, I am one, that test their loads at 100 & 200 yards.

That 40-70 should be just the ticket for silhouette or midrange competition, but, you may have to leave Monroe County.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have standardized all of my bullet casting to 16:1 and everything got better, even cartridges that were already good with #2/20:1 improved with 16:1 smokeless or black powder . It’s easier to cast nicer bullets than 20:1 for me.
TimW

Post by TimW »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:58 pm Well, to repeat myself, you said you have a 3/8" group at 100 yards and that is the furthest you shoot so why would you even ask? If it ain't broke why fix it? You bought 6 lbs. of powder some time ago right after you bought the wood box and the other day you said you have 6 lbs. of powder which means you haven't done any shooting in months so why do you need more lead? If you buy your powder 3 or 6 lbs. at a time do you buy your lead 5 lbs. at a time? Are you just lonely? Is that why you keep asking these questions? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Paul
Damn, that's kinda rude.
Thought canucks were supposed to be friendly/likable folks? :oops:

Isn't asking questions/discussing things kinda the POINT of a message board??
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Well yes it was rude TimW and I usually am friendly and likable. I have tried many times to share the benefit of my experience with this man only to have him throw it aside because he's not really looking for help. It's a sucker play so that he can tell you how he knows better. I invite you to go back and read some or many of this members questions. Try the one on how he found his MVA sight to be not to his liking and shimmed it to stop the staff from doing what it's supposed to do, tilt forward under recoil. Of course I expect he will still think he's entitled to warranty should his modification create wear. He seeks out the advice of more experienced members only to ignore them because he already has his mind made up. In other words he's wasted my time and that's rude. If you take the time to read a few of his posts you'll find that he only asks these many questions to give himself the opportunity to tell the rest of us how he is right and we are wrong and that's rude.

You're right, I was rude but not without cause.

Paul
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

DeadEye wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:58 pm Well, to repeat myself, you said you have a 3/8" group at 100 yards and that is the furthest you shoot so why would you even ask? If it ain't broke why fix it? You bought 6 lbs. of powder some time ago right after you bought the wood box and the other day you said you have 6 lbs. of powder which means you haven't done any shooting in months so why do you need more lead? If you buy your powder 3 or 6 lbs. at a time do you buy your lead 5 lbs. at a time? Are you just lonely? Is that why you keep asking these questions? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Paul
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You tell 'em Paul!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Damn, that's kinda rude.
Thought canucks were supposed to be friendly/likable folks? :oops:
Great response Paul. Exactly, (Paul's post), why I have lately chosen not to respond to kenny sd's posts. He is not here to learn. I don't pretend to know everything there is to know in this game. I learn something almost every time I read posts here. I also have a small amount of experience that I have been willing to share and discuss. But kenny sd is not one who listens, so I'm done with him.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

i-call-em-like-i-see-em-pilgrim.jpg
When enough is enough. Thanks Woody, Cody, I guess I'll do the same from now on, put him on ignore.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimW

Post by TimW »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:31 pm Well yes it was rude TimW and I usually am friendly and likable. I have tried many times to share the benefit of my experience with this man only to have him throw it aside because he's not really looking for help. It's a sucker play so that he can tell you how he knows better. I invite you to go back and read some or many of this members questions. Try the one on how he found his MVA sight to be not to his liking and shimmed it to stop the staff from doing what it's supposed to do, tilt forward under recoil. Of course I expect he will still think he's entitled to warranty should his modification create wear. He seeks out the advice of more experienced members only to ignore them because he already has his mind made up. In other words he's wasted my time and that's rude. If you take the time to read a few of his posts you'll find that he only asks these many questions to give himself the opportunity to tell the rest of us how he is right and we are wrong and that's rude.

You're right, I was rude but not without cause.

Paul
One of those types, huh? Can see getting tired of it. (I work with a couple like that!)
Understandable!
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Hey guys, this is a site to share and have Fun. If you have a rude comment. Keep it to yourself.
and I'll now do the same about your posts. If you don't want to read my posts, just 'move along'
but I'll answer your comments about the bp I have and why I asked. .
I was asking because I have 2f and 3f.
and some 1 1/2 Swiss which is now impossible to get and that is running out. (because I shoot every week, and use a pound a month.)
I bought 3 of 1F GOEX, and was asking how you like it.

and thanks for all who gave me your thoughts....
Ken
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

B/A has Swiss 1.5 now, just bought 10 lbs.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

kenny sd wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:02 am Hey guys, this is a site to share and have Fun. If you have a rude comment. Keep it to yourself.
and I'll now do the same about your posts. If you don't want to read my posts, just 'move along'
but I'll answer your comments about the bp I have and why I asked. .
I was asking because I have 2f and 3f.
and some 1 1/2 Swiss which is now impossible to get and that is running out. (because I shoot every week, and use a pound a month.)
I bought 3 of 1F GOEX, and was asking how you like it.

and thanks for all who gave me your thoughts....
Ken
But Kenny you were asking about what alloy to use in this post. Did you forget? :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Nope Deadeye, just putting them all in one question group....
that comment about
having a reason to be rude kind of got to me...
I'm not that guy....sorry to see not all are.

and my forgetting? YUP. do it all the time....just ask my wife. What's her name....K