Schuetzen 45-70 Load

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VenisonRX

Schuetzen 45-70 Load

Post by VenisonRX »

Looking for folks with experience using shuetzen 2f in the 45-70. Was able to pick up a few pounds. With the limited availability of powder right now I went ahead and got it. Anyone have a pet load using this? I know most prefer Swiss or goex.

I’ll admit I’ve messed with smokeless loads when I was just learning to cast. Wasn’t overly impressed with the results. Then I switched to goex until my supply of that ran out and it did fine. Tried 777 and it wasn’t too bad actually. Just had to convert volume to weight. But I’d like to stick with regular black if I can.

I had the best luck with 65 grains of goex under the Lyman 457125 bullet. Has anyone worked with both and know how they compare or are the two different ball games?
—Tom
DeadEye

Re: Schuetzen 45-70 Load

Post by DeadEye »

Years ago I thought I had found a deal and bought 3 cases of it. What I found is that it is down in power compared to Goex and Swiss. I was trying to develop a load for Silhouette shooting and found that I could not get enough FPS out of it to hold a group out to the Ram line. When I got up to 75 grains with a 535 gr. Postell and saw a large amount of powder burning as it left the barrel I gave up and sold the other two cases. Used the rest of that one on Chickens and it worked fine. Schuetzen is shot at 200 if I'm not mistaken and for that it works well just like the name implies.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Fortunately for me then 200 yards is about as far as I can shoot where I’m at. This is for a hunting gun anyways. That being said I strive for the best accuracy possible at my limited ranges. Did you stick with 75 for the chickens or go with something less?
—Tom
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

It was less for Chickens, I can't remember how much but mid-sixties would be a place to start. You should be alright for what you describe.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

You'll probably find that it works pretty well at 200. I tried some Schuetzen FFg a few years ago in my .45-90 Borchardt. The velocity was way less than Swiss 1.5. Nearly 100fps lower with the same charge volume, but it grouped not too badly at all at 200m. Velocity was quite variable though. It would have shot terribly at long distances.

Chris.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I won a couple of pounds several years ago, but never used it in any of my cartridge rifles. I used all of it in my cartridge and muzzleloading shotguns. Worked fine in that application. Same for what Goex I still have and any other black, even the odd lot of swiss that doesn't match what I have data for. The only powder I trust to run through my BPCR rifles is Swiss 2FG. It's been my go to powder since Goex Cartridge bit the dust. I haven't looked very hard for Swiss since last year, but I know BACO Had some recently. I would give them a call instead of chasing a load of Schuetzen.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Pretty sure the best 45-70 Schuetzen load starts with either a Crossno or Shaver .22RF liner. :lol:
Glenn
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

SSShooter wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:50 am Pretty sure the best 45-70 Schuetzen load starts with either a Crossno or Shaver .22RF liner. :lol:
Funny you say that. I did ask Santa Clause for one of those for Christmas. Ever use one? What do you think if so?
—Tom
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Sorry, I have not. Several folks shoot quite well with them.

But, these days the 22BPCR game has become very competitive and most, if not all, of the high-master shooters use dedicated rifles.
Glenn
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Last time I shot with Steve and Beth at the .22BPCR Nationals they were still using their Crosno liners and did very well with them.

Paul
Woody

Post by Woody »

Had one several years ago, and it shot better than me. I sold it when I got a dedicated .22 BPCR rifle.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I have a Crossnoe liner for the 40-65 to 22lr. I don' t have a 40-65 though, on 1 of my trips to Big Timber I brought along my saddle rifle that is chambered for 40-70 2.1" and ammo. The rim diameters of both are the same as is their lengths. I asked Bob Bryan what he thought and he figured it would work. It does and just fine cci std vel and Norma TAC seem to work the best. Damned if I can see how anyone can feed a Shiloh Sharps any less expensively and get more offhand practice. Bobw
bobw
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

The Crossno works great for offhand practice. I also us it for .22 silhouette matches. It shoots better than I do most of the time.

Dave
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Woody wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 am Had one several years ago, and it shot better than me. I sold it when I got a dedicated .22 BPCR rifle.
Woody
Yep. Gotten so bad I've got a new CPA being built as I find switching out the barrel & block too big a hassle. Think I'm getting old. :wink:
Glenn