MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DeadEye

Re: MVA "A" scope for a Shilo 1874

Post by DeadEye »

And I know several shooters who have three, count 'em 3, blocks on their Silhouette rifle. 10.3" and 17", 28" w/Centerless Mil-Dot for the lay-downs and switch to the 23" w/Aperture for Chickens. They say it balances better and most of them are such a poor shot :lol: :lol: that they won the scope anyway. Me, I only have one 28" and I seemed to do alright with it too, just like Woody. Your money, your choice. Enjoy.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

28 inch scope creed moor mount and 17 in spacing nice and simple and will shoot past a 1000yds with a 45/70art
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

charlie young wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 pm
bohemianway wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:51 am Talk to Cheryl at MVA. She has a lot of experience and she recommends the #2 mount for ease of adjustment. I went with the Silhouette mounts to look more traditional and will suffer the consequences. I am going with the 10.3" spacing since if it is an existing rifle the front base for 7.2" is right on the Shiloh stamp.
I'm curious as to why you will "suffer the consequences" with the silhouette mounts.
Also curious as to the suffering I'm doing. 1874, 30"bbl, 45-70 530 gr. shoot silhouette out to 1023yds.
X2 as Savannah shoots a 1874 30" 534 grs. If we were aware of the consequences she's being handicapped with, made she'd shoot better with her scope :roll:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

The "suffering" is simply the attention to detail when adjusting with backlash on the lead screws, loosening and retightening (and reading the scales) as opposed to simply clicking in the direction you want. And with at least a dozen Lyman, Unertl, Litchert, and Fecker scopes all I have are clickers.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

bohemianway wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:23 am The "suffering" is simply the attention to detail when adjusting with backlash on the lead screws, loosening and retightening (and reading the scales) as opposed to simply clicking in the direction you want. And with at least a dozen Lyman, Unertl, Litchert, and Fecker scopes all I have are clickers.
Ah Ha, I see.
That's why we always "pull" from the same direction on our scope adjustments, always up.
It's not very painfull at all to do :lol: just a habit to form
Last scope I got has the "win 2" mounts, we'll see how that works for me
Haven't used it yet.
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

A picture is worth a thousand words....
This is a Shiloh #2 Creedmoor 1874 in 45-2.1 w/ 30" round barrel with an MVA 23" 6x Scope mounted on 17" centers and Creedmoor Mounts Elevated for 1,000 yards.
Byers2019.jpg
Ed
Rockridge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Ed:
That sure looks like a lot like a 28" scope?
(But I may just be exposing my ignorance, as I currently don't own an MVA scope.)
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

You're right Steve, it is a 28". Same as mine.

Paul
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Is a cheek rest/elevator needed to get the eye high enough and maintain a cheek weld?

Asking for a friend. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Absolutely Zack, at 1000 yards I need my hand on top of a 3/4" elevator. From memory my elevation is around 180+.

Paul
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

A little more info Zack, with my 45-90, BACO 545 gr. Creedmoor, 78 gr. Swiss 1.5 at Ben Avery my 1000 yard setting is 176/178.

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:13 am A little more info Zack, with my 45-90, BACO 545 gr. Creedmoor, 78 gr. Swiss 1.5 at Ben Avery my 1000 yard setting is 176/178.

Paul
This is similar to my load but I use a 535gr Money bullet in mine.

With my 28" MVA scope in their Creedmoor mounts, my eye position is pretty much exactly the same as it is with my MVA LR Soule so it's not like I'm getting any less cheek weld with the scope. I measured this my putting the scope and the LR sight on at the same time to compare :-).

Like Kenny has said previously, you'll get a better cheek weld with the 23" scope with its closer spaced bases. My 23" scopes all use the 10.23" or 10.34" or whatever spacing. It's not a lot of trouble, you just have to get good at dividing by three :-)

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Chris, that was the load at the time and that is a long time ago. The bullet has been replaced with a BACO Postell 535 gr. with the first band reduced. It's reduced but not what you'd expect. It's .452 and at first I tried seating with .030" engagement on that band with so-so results. Then I seated it out to where the second band is engaging .030". This requires every round be seated with the cam tool or get a sore thumb, your choice. A GM150M sets off 81 gr. of Olde Eynsford 1.5. I had previously been using 78 gr. but the added three grains reduced the vertical quite nicely at 800 and beyond.

I had not thought of trying that with the two sights. Interesting, I now have something to do tomorrow. Sad what Covid has done to us isn't it?

Paul
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Some of those bullet designs are a bit funky, but probably fit someone's rifle's throat perfectly. The other bullet that is exceptional in my Shiloh is the 459540M3 slip fit rather than with neck tension like I use with the 0.458" diameter bullet. I've never had a load that shot consistently well with OE in this particular rifle. Swiss 1.5 shoots extremely well in it though.

It is funny how Covid has affected us. I've done hardly any shooting compared to before, and not a single match. The mask rules that they put in for a while at my range were a real pain in the a$$. Tomorrow, if all goes well I'll be taking my new .45-70 to the range. This is the Shiloh that I won at Robert's match. Rough Rider with a 30" heavy barrel, but without a pewter tip for better weigh distribution when shooting scoped chickens. It's a really nice piece of work, but then I've never seen a Shiloh that wasn't! I've only shot in once and that was on silhouettes. It hasn't been on paper yet.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Enjoy Chris, here's hoping someday we get to shoot together. Stay well.

Paul