Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by Don McDowell »

Montana Extreme Cowboy blend....
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:05 pm "Zack, I heard you're so old that the first time you shot a LR BP match at Raton, they called a cease fire while a herd of stegasauruses meandered across the range. Then when a nearby volcano erupted, they just called the match altogether. Is that true?"

Yessir, that was a long time ago. Surprised you remembered.
I was there, for the inaugural match 1996 to test the feasibility. Also 1997 the first true match. And 2018 the very last one at Raton.

And I am much younger than Zack…. :evil: :lol:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Maybe I will change from Butch’s BP Bore Shine. I always dry my barrel with multiple patches though.

Steve’s test has definitely got me wondering. :shock:
And Brian’s remarks do also.
It’s definitely drier here in Wyo though.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

sackett

Post by sackett »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 pm 796A7061-6DFB-4A77-BC63-0AD4207E4303.jpegMike and Steve,

I just checked Lyman’s site they say Butch’s protects against corrosion. Wonder if that brown stuff isn’t more carbon?

Kenny W.
Kenny, I think you might be misunderstanding what Lyman is saying. If you clink on the "instruction sheet" on the Lyman webpage, it talks about no corrosion when the barrel is immersed in the Bore Shine, unlike some of the harsher chemicals like Sweet's 7.62 which can potentially do damage. It (Lyman's paper) doesn't say that no corrosion will take place if dried metal and water meet....actually it says just the opposite.

Here is Lyman's conclusions, see # 4:

Easiest and safest thing is to run an oiled patch through the bore once it's cleaned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Wasserburger

So end result is oil the barrel after drying out the Mpro7.

Interesting stuff, it does remove carbon in my opinion better than Mpro7 7 does, but there isn’t much carbon in the barrel anymore. Most likely due to using felts wetted with Mpro7 followed with 3 more damp patches with Mpro7 on them followed by 2 dry.

This is for Paper patched bullets.

Kenny

sackett

Post by sackett »

For me, I oil after I clean the barrel on anything, but being in New England, it can get humid in the summer with dew points in the high 60's and low 70's. It might not be Louisiana humid, but humid enough to create rust. For me, I just use Hoppe or Lucas gun oil...nothing special.

Two thought though:

You had cases break into 2 pieces due to oil several weeks ago, correct? Or was it an oil heavier than gun oil?

Other thought/question is with regards to using PP and an oiled barrel: would that first shot be a flier, similar to what many experience in hi-powered rifles and copper jacketed bullets? Or would it be best to run several dry patches down the barrel first before shooting to get the barrel "dry" which might replicate what a non-oiled barrel?
sackett

Post by sackett »

Here is the link for the full Lyman lab report for Butch's Bore Shine: [url]https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/cat ... esults.pdf[/url]
semtav

Post by semtav »

sackett wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:33 pm

Other thought/question is with regards to using PP and an oiled barrel: would that first shot be a flier,
In my limited experience, NO.
( With the powerlube )
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Using the Montana extreme Accuracy oil the first shot isn’t a flier with patched
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

sackett wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:33 pm For me, I oil after I clean the barrel on anything, but being in New England, it can get humid in the summer with dew points in the high 60's and low 70's. It might not be Louisiana humid, but humid enough to create rust. For me, I just use Hoppe or Lucas gun oil...nothing special.

Two thought though:

You had cases break into 2 pieces due to oil several weeks ago, correct? Or was it an oil heavier than gun oil?

Other thought/question is with regards to using PP and an oiled barrel: would that first shot be a flier, similar to what many experience in hi-powered rifles and copper jacketed bullets? Or would it be best to run several dry patches down the barrel first before shooting to get the barrel "dry" which might replicate what a non-oiled barrel?
Actually was using Mpro7 CLP by mistake for wiping fluid instead of the cleaner.

In effect the chamber was very oily as was the barrel multiple case separations.

Kenny Wasserburger