Alloy Question for Different Calibers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

fosjam

Alloy Question for Different Calibers

Post by fosjam »

Hello everyone,

I got into the BP shooting game a few years ago. I am definitely still a beginner. My uncle has gotten me started and its a blast shooting with him and picking his brain. He started me out on 45-70 and 50-70 pretty much strictly using Goex 2f and 20:1 Alloy. In the three years since, I've acquired several more BP rifles, (3 Cody Ballards and 4 more Shiloh's). I've got 38-55 (Wyoming Armory 1885), 32-40 and 38-50 RH (this is a Cody Ballard Switch Barrel set), 40-65 (Cody Ballard), 45-70 (Shiloh), 45-90 (Shiloh 16 lb), 45-110 (Cody Ballard Pacific), 50-70 (Shiloh), and 50-90 (Shiloh). What I'm wondering is if there are powder/alloy combinations that would be a good place to start with some of these calibers? The only ones I've shot a lot of so far are the 45-70 and the 50-70 (both Shiloh 1874s with 30" barrels). The 2f and 20:1 seem to work well in those rifles. There are so many combinations possible I don't know where to start when it comes to the trial and error method. Thanks!
Dennis Armistead

Re: Alloy Question for Different Calibers

Post by Dennis Armistead »

That question will yield 100 different opinions. For me...I change my alloy hardness on a few different factors. Hunting, 40:1 usually because of my bullet profile/large meplat or round nose...will flatten out some on impact with bone/hide/flesh. Generally in the 1,100 fps range. Casual shooting in the 1,200 fps range at targets I use 20:1 alloy as long as my bullet profile isn't too pointed. For long range competition using my Money bullet profile in the 1,300 fps range I use 16:1 so I don't get any nose deformation and for my .45 2 7/8" I shoot 11:1 paper patch in the 1,400 fps range. I don't use real hard alloy because of gas cutting. My opinion for what it's worth.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

20-1 will cover just about everything.
16-1 is best in the long pointed bullets used in the long range contests, and it works well when loading the wcf cartridges in Colts and Winchesters.
IMHO.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Don McDowell wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:13 pm 20-1 will cover just about everything.
16-1 is best in the long pointed bullets used in the long range contests, and it works well when loading the wcf cartridges in Colts and Winchesters.
IMHO.

X2

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member