Zack's article in Winter of 2019 in BPC News

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Zack's article in Winter of 2019 in BPC News

Post by desert deuce »

Actually there are already a plethora of Canadians below the line and a fair number in Arizona, mixed in with South Dakota, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin and a sprinkling of Iowans that are overshadowed by the numbers from Nevada and Utah. All think tan is the color of a shirt. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

BTW, went to range today, 80F - 22% humidity (rained yesterday) barrel level in open @ 1:30 SPF 30 sunscreen

64F - 26% humidity ground level in the shade @ 2:00, had to put on a vest and a jacket.

Light-variable winds 4-8 mph, clear cloudless skies

Wish you were here. You could be here you know? March 23-31 The Desert International Black Powder Target Rifle Match

5 openings left.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:11 pm Actually there are already a plethora of Canadians below the line and a fair number in Arizona, mixed in with South Dakota, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin and a sprinkling of Iowans that are overshadowed by the numbers from Nevada and Utah. All think tan is the color of a shirt. :roll:
I think Arizona and Florida are were many of us seem to winter. I suspect that's why those states have NHL teams. A friend went to a game in Phoenix and said it seemed the whole crowd was Canadians. I wonder how many of us are down there on any given winter day? I do know that we seem to be pretty easy to spot :-).

Paul you are pretty much right on with Trudeau. Hopefully his goose is cooked this time, but it's hard to say. Nothing seems to stick to him.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Trudeau may have a relationship with Dominion Voting Machines which is headquartered in Canada. You know the Communist Mantra, "The ends justify the means." I think he has sealed his own fate, hopefully.

I don't think the Maricopa County Chamber of Commerce has any interest in calling Immigrations attention to the local migrant Canadian population. Most of the license plates I see are Alberta with a few Ontario and British Columbia mixed in. In the winter Yuma seems inundated with Minnesota plates.

Deadeye and Spot would be a great match for most retirement communities in Arizona, where they would be like peas in a pod.

For you and your wife most anywhere north of Interstate 10 could be your dream come true. Not much snow or ice Phoenix south anyway. Funny, talking to some of my highway patrol associates stationed in Northern Arizona, particularly Flagstaff, every time the Flag area gets significant ice and snow the Phoenix millennials flock to the area in their shorts, sandals and Honda Civics to see the weather and get stuck in the stuff. Local joke among local tow truck drivers also.

Yes, shorts and sandals appear to be uniforms in the Phoenix area year around.

South of Interstate 10 though you have a volatile mix of Mexicans, Winter Visitors and homicidal Phoenix drivers on the highways. To combat this phenomenon some of the locals purposely drive pickups or cars six years old or older with expired Mexico plates on the front and intimidating illuminated brush guards on the trucks, helps prevent people pulling out in front cutting them off.

The first lesson taught in the Sonora driving school is when you put the car in reverse just back up until you hit something before going forward.

It' a dry heat.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

There sure is a big difference in climate between Flagstaff & Phoenix! Lynna were in Flagstaff a few years ago and hiked up Humphreys Peak. Pretty nice view up there!

I think the drivers are more or less the same everywhere I think. Mostly bad :-). We gave shelter to a young fellow with a dead car on the highway in a snowstorm once. A high mountain pass, not quite winter but close. A blizzard hit and 18 wheelers without chains had accidentally blocked the road. This young fellow had set out in bad weather with no jacket, shorts, and hardly any gas in the tank. He ran out of gas but was too dim to figure that out so ran the battery flat by trying to start it. No cell service for a tow truck. If he hadn't come into our truck he'd have froze just due to a lack of common sense :lol:

I don't mind the shorts and sandals too much, but then I live awful close to Vancouver. I hurt my back the other day going to the range and I can't put on long pants or regular shoes so I'm in flip flops & shorts. It's going to be down in the 20's next week. I hope to be out of the flip flops by then :lol: :lol:

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I attempted momentarily to visualize you in shorts and sandals with your Tollofson Sharps and the Imagery would not come up on the screen.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:12 pm I attempted momentarily to visualize you in shorts and sandals with your Tollofson Sharps and the Imagery would not come up on the screen.
I could take a picture but no one wants to see that :lol: . I actually have that particular rifle sitting on the bench beside me right now interestingly.

Chris.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Just to give an example of what we contend with as far as extreme temps and weather in general. Yesterday it reached 55 degrees here in the very extreme part of NE Montana, with about a 25 mph wind out of the SW. (Chinook) This morning it's almost a blizzard and 0 degrees. It's almost impossible to get the perfect day, no matter what part of the year we are talking about. I'm kind of agreeing with Shadow 4 on this, and thinking that the best way to test a load is this misguided weather is at a distance of around 300 yds. Only trouble is I can shoot as far as an I can see here, but can't shoot close. Long distance I shoot over the corrals, cows, horses or whatever is wandering around. To shoot close I have to pack up and move to the targets....darn it anyway.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You know, Charlie Young, the initial idea about using a chronograph and looking for single digit extreme spreads came from my IMSHA shooting days of jacketed bullets in a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk with ten inch barrel, and of course a Ransom machine rest securely clamped to a solid concrete table and Oehler 33 skyscreens fifteen feet in front of the muzzle. Also worked on a 52 Smith, Custom .45 1911 and various K-frame S&W's, so, I tried it on a 45-90 and 44-90 and that pretty well produced the desired result.

Never did get single digits from the Super Blackhawk but close enough at one time or other I ran all the animals, eventually.

Did get to single digits with the 52 and cast bullets in the Ransom but that rascal was unforgiving of even miniscule shooter error, or more correctly inconsistency.

NOW, if the snow is so thick you can't see 15 feet from the muzzle, you have a problem.

Ever hear a Marine bark out, "ADAPT AND OVERCOME?" Sounds like he means it.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

One thing to think about shooting in the wind.
If you allow the horizontal stringing to be wrote of to the wind speed changes, but can keep the vertical to 3 minutes or less, that's a pretty fair indicator that the load will do well on calmer days. Also shooting in the wind will tell you right quick at 1000 if the bullet length is holding up to the velocity and barrel twist, as a lot of times when the bullet is just a touch long you will get sideways and oblong bullet strikes.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You can also get those sideways strikes by bouncing those bullets off rocks before they hit the target. :mrgreen:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yeh but as long as they hold the elevation..... :mrgreen:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?