Bore diameter greasers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Bore diameter greasers

Post by Perentie »

Found a thread from back in 2013 but from all my reading here over the years I have not seen it mentioned.
Nothing is new so it must have been tried before but does anyone shoot these or even a dual diameter greaser along the lines of our paper patch bullets.
Not that I want to try it as I am happy with my PP ammo but just something for discussion.
Keith
77 sharps

Re: Bore diameter greasers

Post by 77 sharps »

With the exception of the.45-70 Gov or the.50-70 Gov, if you were a Buffalo hunter shooting ringed ( GG ) bullets, they were bore diameter.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I started with a Paul Jones Creedmoor #45001 mould @ 459” that’s as close as I’ve come to full diameter bullet in my Shiloh 45-70 . It shoots very well at silhouette ranges it’s been criticized as being unstable past 700 yards I’ve not shot it past the Ram line so I can’t attest to past the rams.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

A .459 bullet would be groove diameter not bore.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

A dual diameter, bore diameter projectile could I believe pass for a 'reduced forward bands' greaser .. at least by definition. I've certainly playedaround with reduced band greasers and indeed they probably make up the bulk of the grease groove moulds that I've ordered in the last five years orso. While I have and use several true bore diameter pp designs, I've concentrated of late using the dual diameter in both my 44 and my 50. Most of this started with experimentation in my 44/77 to allow more engagement, better alignment and a bit more powder capacity. A shooting buddy of mine wanted to experiment with a bullet seated well out in his 45/70 and so we worked on a projectile at 1.42" long. 1st three bands at .459, 4th tapering .454/.456 and last two at .459. In his rifle, this bullet can be seated with just the two base bands in the case and shoots very well to date with no leading evident. That is 1.2" of a 1.42" bullet seated within the lead & into the rifling. Works a treat. Probably not necessary when you're cases grow up beyond 2.4 or so as the capacity is there already ..but you still end up with good alignment. hth. :wink:
rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I screwed that up didn’t I ?
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Well, lots of people do just that in their muzzleloaders...And get good accuracy.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thats what I thought, front stuffers and Breech seaters yes. I have just not seen it mentioned in fixed ammo.
But obviously its been tried before.
Keith
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Years ago, like 20, I shot some bore diameter greasers in a Browning 45-70 at long range. They were sized down and seated in the bore ahead of a cartridge loaded with 90 gr BP, enclosed in a paper sleeve in the cartridge case, so as to accommodate that much powder. Shot fine.

CHRIS
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Its been a few years but I had an opportunity to dissemble and measure an origional ctg from a white box of winchester made 45 govt. the bullets were 446 in diameter and had grooves cut or rolled into them, And filled with some brown looking lube that was pretty hard.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Interesting! Black powder? Year of manufacture? Bullet weight? For single shot or lever action?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

In a round about way I may be able to partially shed some light on your question.

I was at the range using a standard NRA 200 yard target, shooting at 200 yards distance.

I had two rifles with ammunition on the firing line. A 45-90 and a 44-90, both Kreiger barrels. I was shooting DT Designed $ bullets in both rifles from PJ moulds in 1-20 alloy on X sticks

I was shooting the .45-90 and had a nice center group going until about the sixth round which landed point on six o'clock in the 8 ring.

When I extracted the case and examined it I discovered that I had inadvertently fired a 44-90 cartridge in the 45-90 chambered rifle.

The groove on the .45 is a nominal .4580" and on the 44-90 .4465". (At least that is what I size the bullets to.)

I am presuming from the result that the .44 bullet did bump up enough to take the grooves in the .45 barrel as the bullet mark on the target was point on and round.

In the current Handloader Magazine (334) Mike Venturino relates his experience with bullets having undersized noses that may be helpful.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

For the last twenty years I’ve been hunting exclusively with my Sharps rifles so my interests are much more into sporting ammunition than target ammunition and I routinely shoot bullets.009” under bore diameter. The accuracy still surprises me.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Randy Bohannon wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:09 pm I started with a Paul Jones Creedmoor #45001 mould @ 459” that’s as close as I’ve come to full diameter bullet in my Shiloh 45-70 . It shoots very well at silhouette ranges it’s been criticized as being unstable past 700 yards I’ve not shot it past the Ram line so I can’t attest to past the rams.
.459 is groove dia. :wink:
The PJ 45001 Creedmoor is one of the very best long range GG bullets you can use.
Do your part on the firing line, and it will carry to the horizon.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

77 sharps wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:20 am For the last twenty years I’ve been hunting exclusively with my Sharps rifles so my interests are much more into sporting ammunition than target ammunition and I routinely shoot bullets.009” under bore diameter. The accuracy still surprises me.
So you're shooting .441 bullets in your 45? Given that bore diameter of a .45 is typically .450, .009 under bore diameter is .441.