Big Lube bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

art ruggiero

Re: Big Lube bullets

Post by art ruggiero »

build a load around the postel mold you will be fine don't try the trick of the week art
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Oh my, where to begin? I am guessing you live and shoot in Wyoming. Yes?

First, being basically a start from scratch solution the suggestions given by Dennis and Gunlaker are golden.

There are no flies on the Lyman 457132 for silhouette and target (both mid and long range), BUT, there is the issue of load development and the old nemesis of black powder target shooting, HARD FOULING. (Might start ladder loads about 58.0 grains of Swiss 1.5 or 2.0.)

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU REPROGRAM YOUR BRAIN TO DISCOUNT VELOCITY IN FAVOR OF ACCURACY.

The old saying, "Speeds fine but accuracy is final," applies here. Pistol primers work find as do others. Velocities between 1140 and 1340 with plain base bullets of the Grease Groove (GG) variety will likely do anything you need done with a 45-70. The gas checked are principally for the really big white powder guns like the .458 Winchester magnum.

The BACO 459542M3 is winning mid range and silhouette matches in the 45-70, might start your load work up about 57.0 grains of either Swiss 1.5 or 2.0 F. As in Ladder Loads which can be done at 200 yards from a bench rest.

The BACO 459542M5 is winning long range matches and doing quite well in gong matches in the 45-70, in the neighborhood of 74.0 grains of either granulation of Swiss powder all the way up to 84.0 grains. Pay attention to the target. The target will tell you what your rifle likes.

SPG Sales offers two different formulations of bullet lube. SPG (Generic) and SPG Tropical. In my lube sizer I use Tropical and a .459 die. BUT, just because the die is marked .459 does not mean it is .459. I 'had' a Saeco sizing die marked .459 that sized the bullet .4571. Fortunately, Steve Francies made it .459 on the dot. Lubes the .4585 bullets but does not size them, about the same result as pan lubing but does not involve irritating the domestic engineer.

If you want to shoot well with your 45-70 and black powder you will have to learn to cast good bullets. Sorry, unless you have a real professional hand cast bullets for you at a price you cannot like you will have to learn to cast your own. Might as well start yesterday.

Most everything you need to know is already posted on this forum. All you have to do is find it.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Before you get too far along, search for any of several experienced shooters who live and shoot in Wyoming. They will steer you straight, and it's a lot easier to do face-to-face. All the advice you've been given here is right on point.

Clarence