PP wad column question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bulseyetom

PP wad column question

Post by Bulseyetom »

I have an original Ballard Pacific in 40-85 that I am trying to get shooting. I tried several gg bullets and two pp bullets that I had on hand for my 40-70 Hepburn and have decided that the bullet I will concentrate on is the BACO .395 330 grain bullet. When I patch with BACO paper it is a nice fit in the fired case. I tried a few rounds with this bullet today and got best results with Swiss 1.5 lightly compressed with a 0.060 ldpe wad followed by a 0.060 Walters wad and then also a few with a third 0.060 ldpe wad on top of the Walters wad. The three wad combo shot much better. My question is am I placing the wads in the correct order or should I be using a vegetable wad first and last with the lpde wad in the middle? I seem to have read about a three wad combo but I think it was on the defunct BPCR forums. The paper patched bullet with 3 wads shot far better than the gg bullets as well although I only tried a few to get a feel for what the rifle liked and certainly not enough to fine tune a load. I prefer to use a pp bullet for historical correctness and hunting and informal target practice use only. The bore diameter is 0.402 and has a 20 inch twist. Thanks for any help. Tom
Tomklinger

Re: PP wad column question

Post by Tomklinger »

Bulseyetom,
I shoot an original Ballard #7 A1 long range rifle chambered in 44/100 Ballard everlasting. My load is 98g Swiss 1f, drop tubed, uncompressed, 1 060 poly on the powder, 1- .125 thick hard card wad, then the bullet on top. With a 530g pp elliptical bullet. This runs right at 1350 fps. I tried several stack combinations, but this works best in this rifle. Card wad on the bottom and poly on top opened up my group. Also tried a shorter bullet, it also opened up the group. Research on the original load showed a 530gr. PP bullet. This rifle also has the original 1in 20 twist barrel.
Hope this helps,
Tom Klinger :x
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hard to beat success. It would be great if you could find an original cartridge at a gunshow. Then I'd measure it top to bottom, photo it and then as gently as possible pull it apart to see how it was originally loaded. With what kind and sequence of wads, bullet dia. Etc. They knew a few things back then too. Bobw
bobw
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Bob, you shot well at the Montana 1000. What was your load?
bobw

Post by bobw »

45-70 shiloh montana roughrider 7* leade. 45 TGBS ppb .442" 9lb onion skin over 1 1/2 Fg in ww cases 9 1/2 Rem lr primers. Wiped. Bobw
bobw
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Powder charge, wads, seating depth? I’m trying 66 grain loads, .03 LDPE, seat depth .35. Looks promising at 200 yards so far.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well Mike I use wads punched from minutemaid juice cartons. Seat at .15". Shoot black powder. Bobw
bobw