1875 Sharps

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LH

1875 Sharps

Post by LH »

Just wondering why this model isnt very popular in the target crowd? Reliability? Trigger? Ugliness?
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

There's no history behind the 1875 Sharps. Only a few prototypes were made "back in the day," it was never put into production.
Minnesota AL

Post by Minnesota AL »

Does C Sharps offer a set trigger for the 1875? The literature I looked through always show a single trigger and no mention of a set trigger.

If I wanted a great quality, no frills target rifle, I'd look at the 1875. Seems like C Shrps had one on their table at the Q with a nice middle heavy weight Badger barrel for under $1400.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Brent

Re: 1875 Sharps

Post by Brent »

LH wrote:Just wondering why this model isnt very popular in the target crowd? Reliability? Trigger? Ugliness?
Yep. Bout sums it up...

Well really it's just ugly :D
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Dphariss

Post by Dphariss »

LH wrote:Just wondering why this model isnt very popular in the target crowd? Reliability? Trigger? Ugliness?
Its a gun that never really was and the remake leaves something to be desired. Welding the top tang solid helps accuracy if its the detachable kind. Trigger has built in "issues".
The original receiver forging was used for the Borchardt as near as I can tell.

Dan
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I have 2, a 40-65 and a 45-90. Both are very accurate, but you MUST keep the hammer at half cock when opening or closing the action. The trigger setting from the factory is so light that closing the action when at full cock will drop the hammer. Not the best in my opinion. Want to buy the 45-90?
im
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Ron Blanchard

1875 sharps

Post by Ron Blanchard »

I have one that shoots very well, and the trigger breaks cleanly at 1 1/2
pounds i have shot some very tight groups with it.
I dont know how much weight is in the 1874 action as compared to the 1875 but it is lighter so more weight can be on the barrel where i want it on mine, even if its only ounces .

I know that in years back the 1875 shot by Dennis Bruns shot real well and placed well in the matches at Raton years back.
BUFFALO JIM

Post by BUFFALO JIM »

Well, My son won the C. Sharps 1875 at the Quigley this year and they did one heck of a good job with it. I agree that the 74 is a nicer looking rifle, but those guys at C. Sharps put this rifle together with XX fancy wood, hand checkering, just the right amount of engraving including all the screws. I quess what I'm trying to say is, if you were to put it together with the right features they come out right down nice.
kodiak1

Post by kodiak1 »

Got me one in 40-90SBN Shoots very well and it sure don't look that bad.
Ken.
Love to Live, Live to Shoot.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Since I have an friend that's interested in a C-Sharps 1875 for 22BPCRA I'm bringing up this old thread to get some current comments for those of you with experience with the rifle, even if it's chambered for centerfire.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

C. Sharps offers a single-set trigger for the 1875. Their 'build your own' menu lists the SST as a $175 option.
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

SSShooter wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm C. Sharps offers a single-set trigger for the 1875. Their 'build your own' menu lists the SST as a $175 option.
Glenn,

Their current catalog lists their 1875 SS trigger for $150. The $175 price is to retrofit a 1875 rifle. But we may be saying the same thing?

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

G'day Wayne. A mate I travel with to the U.S. to shoot with...purchased an 1875 through C. Sharps a few years back and he's very happy with it. It's a 45/70, 30" round barrel with pistol grip. Its a relatively plain rifle...and certainly doesn't evoke the romance and history of the '74 but I couldn't fault its capability. It has a single set trigger but the standard pull is so close to 3 lbs that it almost isn't necessary. It hefts well and holds well for 'awful hand'. Ditto on the half cock being apparently even more important than on the #74 on opening the breech. I've had no experience with the rimfire option though.
J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

TexasMac wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm
SSShooter wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm C. Sharps offers a single-set trigger for the 1875. Their 'build your own' menu lists the SST as a $175 option.
Glenn,
Their current catalog lists their 1875 SS trigger for $150. The $175 price is to retrofit a 1875 rifle. But we may be saying the same thing?
Wayne
They must have it listed at two different prices. Am guessing if you order you'll get the higher price from their website (I just checked again and is $175 - I'm not going to bother downloading the catalog). Have had a few of their High Walls and their single-set trigger in that works well. For an inexpensive, high quality rifle you would be hard-put to beat it price-wise.
Glenn
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My old Ak friend Raymond Hanson has or had a 75 in I think 45-90 if memory serves and he shot it quiet well, course Raymond shoots any accurate rifle well! :lol: