Deer 2021

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Deer 2021

Post by pete »

This a deer my wife and I got this year with my Shiloh Hartford 45-70. We hunted 6 days where in addition to not seeing a lot of deer it seemed like one thing after another went wrong either from my screwups, wind changes to the only other deer in the area snorting at us and warning the ones we stalking. We finally had some luck. But to put it in perspective to be able to get out and do this is a good thing no matter. Sorry the photo is so small.

Bob,
My wife figured how to get it to post. I kept getting a File is too large message even after I shrunk it down. I gave it some effort but gave up being hunting isn't a big deal in the b.p. cartridge world.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
powderburner

Re: Deer 2021

Post by powderburner »

Nice deer pete. Did you guys get to camp all week as well?
Always something to be proud of getting one with a sharps, and with barrel sights.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
pete

Post by pete »

Hi Dean,

Thank you. Yes we tent camped 6 nights. It's a fun and interesting experience being out of touch with the news for a few days. You're right it is rewarding hunting with these guns and b.p. I spotted him from about 1/2 mile away partially hidden in some brush and managed to work into 77 yds. so I did use barrel sights. I do have a MVA 133 for longer shots but most of the time it's barrel sights. Had to wait about 1 hour for him to stand.
We met another hunter and right away he commented on my rifle and that's when you really realize it's different.
James

Post by James »

Handy to have a smart wife! Dandy buck.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well done Pete, that's a nice buck. Were you shooting a 405-420 grain greaser or heavier? Did you have to pack in pieces or use a cart? How far did he go after the shot?
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well done Pete, that's a nice buck. Were you shooting a 405-420 grain greaser or heavier? Did you have to pack in pieces or use a cart? How far did he go after the shot?
bobw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Bob. If his sister was out of the pen she woulda packed it whole back to town on her shoulder without breaking a sweat.
Pete glad to hear you got to spend another week on the prairie with your lovely. There is no better way to hunt than the way you do.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
pete

Post by pete »

Dean,
She's left the country and it's probably a good thing. She probably could have packed him out but then again she would have eaten half by the time she got back. And raw at that. :wink: We talked about how we won't be able to do this stuff in the future and look back on these and earlier times. Thank you for the compliments.

Bob,
Thank you. 430 gr. pure lead naked bullet. .200 meplat like many of the original bullets. We took him out on one of those plastic sleds that we've used for deer, antelope, elk and coyotes. It works pretty good if 2 are pulling or 1 for antelope. We had some disagreements when it came to course since the country is kinda rough and were tired and stiff but that's ok.
He went down right away. I hit ok on the near side but the bullet went deflected forward and up clipping the vertibrae before exiting and leaving a lead smudge on the antler. A follow up shot was necessary. I recovered that bullet.
I look at this stuff as experimental archaeology seeing what really happens along with reading about it.

James,
It is nice to have a smart wife. Thanks for the comments.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Dang shame she left. I always had a soft spot for her.
You guys will have a lot of good memories to share when you are in your rocking chairs.
Thanks again for the updates. Always good to hear about you guys doing well.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

Pete,

Good job! Nothing more gratifying and satisfying then hunting with BPCR.

Rick
SHCB1
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Rick. Yes, it is a good feeling.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Congratulations on a fine buck.
Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Manny.
coolhand

Post by coolhand »

Great Buck Pete! You are correct that it seems Black Powder hunting isn't big with this crowd. But maybe that's because we're all getting old. LOL Taking game with a Sharps rifle with ammo you craft yourself is about as good as it gets for me.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks coolhand. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'm pushing 62 and I also look at traditional archery and muzzleloader forums and there's quite a bit of interest in hunting, history, etc. by older people. I think it's that these guns have just been relegated to match shooting only unfortunately.