The biggest whitetail I ever shot at

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

The biggest whitetail I ever shot at

Post by nohorse »

Well, as embarrassing as it may be, here’s my whitetail hunting story from last season: My best friend and I set up under an old fallen tree that had grown out of an old abandoned cistern. The sunken ground in the cistern and around the base of the tree made a perfect place to set up a blind. We got in early and set everything up. Deer scent, the blind, comfortable little stools, all was perfect. It was a cool morning but no frost with a mild wind blowing towards us from the South. Cartridges were laid out anticipating a long shot over the pasture before us. We both sat in the depression and could just see over the top of the blind. Again, every thing was perfect. Now Laurel and Hardy begin their hunt.

Around 6 o’clock that morning, just as the world was waking up, and we started expecting some action, a group of pulp wood cutters began their business. This was their 3rd day after starting a selective cut on my friend’s property. We sat amazed as we watched the bulldozers coming through a field directly towards us from the South with headlights shining brightly. A place they had assured us they would not be that day. Needless to say, with all this activity we had started giving up on the chance of even seeing a doe. Slowly, as their work progressed, we began losing interest in the hunt and began to talk and joke around. We watched as the pulp wood company slowly got closer to our set up and began started serious discussing about our pending move to a different location.

After this brief discussion and a good joke, I looked over the blind and scanned the pasture in front of us…nothing. Not even any birds. The pulp wood noise had scared everything away as the dozers were now accompanied by skidders and chain saws. So I turned to my friend and we resumed our conversation. As we began talking I looked under a portion of the fallen tree my friend was sitting next to. Being in the cistern depression the top of the fallen tree was almost at eye level. As we talked I noticed a skinny branch sticking up from the ground, just beside him and behind the fallen tree. Just beyond the stock of the Quigley rifle he had carefully rested against the tree. As we talked and I continued to look at this skinny branch, it slowly materialized into 4 skinny legs! In amazement I shouted to my friend DEEEEERRRR!!!!! I mean this deer was spitting distance from us looking over the log and listening in our discussions! We never even heard it approach. My friend could have clubbed it with his Quigley! Not being able to see any more than legs I jumped up with my trusty 45-70 BPCR and started running around and behind the tree. My friend jumped up, turned to his right but all he could see were the remains of the tree trunk and antler tips slowly moving away.

As I came around the tree the deer was going down a sloping hill and my eyes [seemed like slow motion] moved up his back until I noticed this deer may have the biggest rack I had ever seen. I mean this was a deer from a magazine!! The one ya dream about! Huge rack with a spread you could stand in with dark brown beams and white antler tips. If you can believe it, I wasn’t even shaking as I brought the gun up. Cool, calm and collected. This one was mine. The deer had stopped under a little cedar tree and was looking at me as it stood broadside. Steady as an oak I started lining up the vernier tang with the front spirit level, all that BPCR shooting was really gonna pay off now! I was still rock steady as I tripped the set trigger just as the deer began to move again. I calmly sighted in just behind his left shoulder.

I pulled the trigger and boom, the postell rocketed toward its target through a pall of blue smoke. But much to my surprise the deer didn’t fall. It didn’t even flinch. It just kept walking into the woods. I couldn’t believe it! I quickly ran to the spot where it had stood looking for blood, hair, or any other sign that I may have even wounded the animal. Much to my disappointment I found nothing. Completely depressed now I started thinking through what had happened and walked off the distance from my shot to where the deer had stood. 45 yards, Can ya believe that! 45 yards to a trophy like that. Then, looking at my gun I realized what happened and could only laugh. My vernier tang was still on its 150 yard setting. I never anticipated seeing a deer that big, that close, and didn’t even think about compensating for the sight setting as I lined up on the deer. I missed it clean. Not even close. So ended the season and my first attempt at whitetails with a BPCR.
RMulhern

Biggest whitetail

Post by RMulhern »

You do something....I NEVER DO; sit two men to a stand! Why? The only time I've ever done this is when I was training my son....or my grandson. Yeah....there ain't nobody to talk to but to me.....deer huntin IS SUPPOSED TO BE a lonley sport! If you had not been ratchet jawin....you'd a probably killed a great buck.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

We both had our BPCRs. This was our first year at trying to hunt Whitetails with BPCR and we wanted to see the other in action and the results if the shot. We were also trying to get some video.

Yeah, I am with ya, I typically hunt alone, and this was an exception to the rule. Two good friends having a real good time. Hard to beat that and no apologies. We plan on doin' it again. As for ratchet jawin' and missing the big buck, your right. But in a way I was glad to see that big buck slip back into the woods. I thank it for the memories.

Funny thing is after I shot, my friend comes runnin' up with a fired 45-70 case he had stashed in his pocket in case I scored. Figurin' I hit the mark he comes up sayin' "Did you shoot? I know I did!!". Hah.....never misses the opportunity......
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Good story Nohorse, I enjoyed it. A lot of us have hunted with a friend or family in a blind. Last year my nephew and I teamed up on Elk in CO, and it worked, he got a nice big spike elk. AND, we both had someone to share the cold and the hot coffee with.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter