Close calls while huntingl.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

A buddy and I were hunting along the top of a canyon. We spotted a buck below goinging into a small clump of trees in the valley below maybe 300yds off. After waiting some while I volunteered to climb down and flush the buck out. As I entered the clump from one side , the deer ran and at least three shots rang out with one impact raising dust near my position. None of the shots were my buddy but rather were other hunters up on the other side of the canyon quite a ways off. Who said, "Never volunteer!" :shock:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Your experience sixshooter reminds me of a similar incident that happened to me on a sheep hunt above Eklutna lake about 25 years ago.
The area is covered with what we call the Chugach crud, rock that flakes off and is slick as snot as soon as it begins to rain.
We had hunted all afternoon and saw nothing shootable so I decided to follow a sheep trail around a cliff face and it began to sprinkle. Well I get about half way around toeing a ledge and holding on to cap rock just above. I get about half way around and realize my grip on both ends is deteriorating as it gets more wet from the rain. So there I was, when I move I slipped closer to loosing my grip and going over the edge.
My hunting buddy Danny came to my rescue by taking another line just below me that had better footing. He came out on the face below me and steady my boots with each step as we backed off the cliff face one above the other. I would have been a dead man had he not been there and I am usually very stable on my feet. The over confidence in an environment I had no experience with about did me in. MD