This time Last year.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Headhunter

This time Last year.

Post by Headhunter »

I was Packing my new 45-90 Saddle Rifle in the Mountains of Montana.

Maybe Next year.

HH
[/img]
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Let us see a good pic of that rifle, if you don't mind.

You sure are in beautiful country in that photo. Wish I could have been there. Tell us about your hunts as well when you can, if you like. Thanks. Jeff
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Here you go Jeff.

Here is the rifle.

45-90 Saddle Rifle, Standard Weight Barrel, 26", Full Buckhorn rear, blade front.

Beautiful Country, Wonderfully shooting Rifle.

HH
Last edited by Headhunter on Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Here's how it shoots out to 250 yards using field shooting positions.

Just put that blade where you want to hit.

HH[/img]
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Ah yes! Thanks for the pics. That puts me in a better place. :D
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

We hunters live one season to the next.

I sure would like to get in the mountains again soon.

WC
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Headhunter,

Thanks for the pic! How's the reee-coil on that gun? Did you put a merc recoil reducer in the stock for balance or to add weight? I like that rifle and think it must be easy to carry and fast handling. And by the way, I like those 250 yd groups under field conditions. What weight/type of bullet do you use? Thanks. Jeff
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Well Jeff, Thanks a bunch. The rifle is bone stock, no recoil reducers or anything and it doesn't kick bad at all. Easily manageable. If a 45-70 has too much recoil, a 45-90 would also. If a person thinks a 45-70 is a girls gun, the 90 is the same.

My load is Starline brass, CCI-BR, 457125 Government 30-1 over a .030 Walters Wad and 86 Grains of FFG Goex Express. Might be 85 grains, I would have to look at my notes.

Shoots quite well and never have a problem hitting anything I can get a sight picture on.

The rifle weighs a tad over 9 pounds and throws up like a bird gun. Gets around easy in the brush and has JUST enough weight to make a decent offhand shot. It doesn't hold as good as my 45-110 LRE offhand, but it will do.

Its a good hunting rifle.

Josh
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Hi Josh,

SOLD!! Kirk Bryan has a saddle rifle as well and he loves it. I will make it my next hunting rifle. And it's a gorgeous gun too. I didn't catch the bullet weight of your hunting bullet. That would be good to know if you don't mind. Is it a 500 plus grainer?
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Jeff,

My bullet is a 520 grain Government Round nose. Lyman mould. They shoot great out of the 90 and my 45-110 and KILL LIKE LIGHTNING.

You will love it.

Josh

If someone would have told me 10 years ago I would be hunting with a 520 grain Round nose Government bullet, I would have laughed in their face. Now, I am a hands on BELIEVER in their killing capability. THANKS RDNCK!
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Rdnck made a believer out of me. Of course there are piles of carcasses that seem to confirm this each year. :D
Just me and Big Nose Kate