QUEBEC BEAR HUNT

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I remember a curious thing on one of my spring bear trips up to Talkeetna that I thought rather unusual. In walking one of the many games trails along side the river I noted that there was absolutely no Moose dung in the entire area where I knew them to be but bear skatt all over. When we got back to Talkeetna after the hunt I was talking to the local river guide and he said the black bear will scarf up moose dung like candy! I had never heard of such a thing before or since but it did make sense why the usually abundant moose dung was absent.
Another thing that many people may not be aware of is that moose drop nuggets when they are eating sticks and wood basically after the grass and leaves dry up,when they are on green brows in the spring they dump just like a cow pie and this is what the blacks were after.
I killed another little bear on this trip, perhaps 150 or 160 pounds and was using my .338 with Speer 270 grain hot cores which is my usual moose load. Any way I caught him with his pants down in a oxbow putting the first round through his thorax and down he went and was up and moving in an instant. I holed him five times with that round before he was down for keeps and admittedly some of them where a bit far back but that bullet just would not open up on that little of resistance. He was basically ballistically invisible to that bullet at that range just punching holes through his body. I think the old government job would have been the preferred bullet that time but out of a Marlin lever gun with 3 or 4 more in the magazine and a ghost ring aperture with ivory bead up front for sights. You can hit out to two hundred yards with that rig, see them far better than a scope in the alders and nothing is faster! MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Thanks STIX 8)
Tallperson

Post by Tallperson »

Very nice bear, and congratulations. I've hunted Bear in Wyo. and Co. and guided hunters in both states. Hunting a critter that can eat you does make the situation more exciting. Again good job and enjoy your trophy. Tallperson
45-120 Longrange Express 34" barrel Shoots a long way and hits 'em real hard.
SHOOTINGSTIX

BEAR HUNT

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Thank you tallperson It was the hunt of a lifetime. STIX
I PICK IT UP IT GOE'S BANG .. ITS ALL GOOD.