QUEBEC BEAR HUNT

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SHOOTINGSTIX

QUEBEC BEAR HUNT

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Oh ya by the way the tape is how they measured the bears size and the outfitter was the one who did it weather it was right or not Who cares. we love to shoot black powder as our forefathers did.. and the good people on this board, All the best. God's Speed and Remember the people who gave there lives to let us do what we do.

STIX
I PICK IT UP IT GOE'S BANG .. ITS ALL GOOD.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Stix, I wasn't degrading your fine trophy one iota nor was I putting down shooting over a bait but I did think you should know the truth when you show that very good picture of a fine bear trophy and declare his weight to someone with some bear experience because "you" will care then. My guess is the outfitter who would normally tell you how many feet he squared used the weight thing because it is not challengable after skinning and saying he squares five feet is not impressive enough. Did you keep the meat, skull and fat for making some bear oil. I made a bear tooth necklace for my kids out of one of my blacks. It is very cool and the canines are 2.25 inches long, two thirds of the teeth are below the gum line in a live animal. You of course can only do this if you are not mounting the skull for a trophy as it will need to be boiled to loosen the teeth enough. I hear the bear oil will make the finest muzzle loading patch lube you can get and also does a fine job of preventing rust but I have not tried it myself. I will the very next one I have a chance to harvest. We have eaten several of the blacks harvested and it was very fine indeed. That one had been on rotten salmon, smelled the same and I could not "bear" to eat it.
The picture shows your bears head, feet , body, approximate length, you and your rifle right on him. All these give very meaningful estimates and measure of size and weight.
Congratulations on a successful hunt, clean kill and a fine trophy! Well done! MD
Last edited by mdeland on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've never shot a bear, though I would like to one day.

I think it is a fine looking bear and you certainly don't need abuse from the peanut gallery.

Life is too short boys, we ought to be able to be happy with other folks who are happy about their hunts. As for me, I am happy for you.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, I hope you get to harvest one Scott. If you render the fat I'm told you have one of the best gun products available for black powder and lead shooters. Good for both Muzzle loaders and cartridge lube. I have also been told it will make one of the finest pie crusts known to man and is not supposed to congeal when cold.
I bet a bear hair leather scabbard would make an impressive sheath for your Bowie as well! MD
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was really thinking more in terms of a bearskin loin cloth, but that's another story entirely. :D

Seriously, I have always wanted to hunt bear and I would do so with my Shiloh (either one of them) in a heartbeat.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Shootingstix
Well said..Reminds me of a old saying my Dad used. "Those that can...DO

those that cannot...TEACH"
Read it twice Bad Bill
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

New Mexico has some fine bear hunting and is next door. I've seen a couple taken by friends from the Mescalero Apache reservation while stationed there in the service and one was a cinnamon color, black bear.
A real super trophy here in Alaska and very few have been taken is the glacier or blue bears. It also is a color phase of black bear and very unique. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Stix - you never knew a guy like me so your intended insults don't count. :shock: I never said you didn't shoot a bear or that it wasn't a nice bear even iffin it wasn't quite the size you'd been lead to believe; I said that the whole affair of being stuck up in a stand and told to stay there until I come back isn't hunting in my book. You have lots of friends supporting you but they ain't my friends so they don't count either :shock: and sure arn't going to convince me that killing an animal is the same as hunting. Hunting is something different than climbing on and off of planes for two days and then being trucked out to the kill site. However - I'm sure it was exciting and hair raising as you sensed the bear approaching. And, thank the Good Lord, you got him in one shot. By the way, I would consider walking (unless of course you can't walk and need to ride an atv)and locating and shootin an animal in a game farm to be hunting if it has decent terrain and acreage so the animal has a chance too.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My favorite method of hunting Blacks is spot and stalk in May after they have lost their plug and have cleaned themselves out eating new grass. They begin to fatten up and the coat will last about a month into June before the guard hairs begin to slip and they get rubbed.
The meat is always the best at this time in my opinion but they won't have the weight yet that a fall bear will have after being on the salmon and berries all summer.
It is usually challenging to get close enough with this method for using a BPCR in the mountains as a rule although the little guy I took for my first bear I could have killed with ease using my 30 inch barreled 2.1. It was on the level across a railroad track and maybe 60 yards. A four hundred yard shot at a 20 degree down angle into the wind is a whole new can of worms, a tough shot even with a flat trajectory and would be nye onto impossible with a BPCR even if you did know the range. I could not have made the shot with my BPCR and we could not get closer. Steep up and down angles are very difficult especially with rainbow trajectories.
I'll be taking my Mauser .280-.338 improved with synthetic stock, hiking staff, back pack and folder hunting knife, this fall in the hopes of taking a moose and or black bear.
Only chichachos use single shots with lead bullets and black powder for serious game shooting in Alaska! I'm trying to put up a smiley face emoticon but it isn't cooperating. :) MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, I guess it did after hitting submit! MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

STIX - I apologize to you and others for getting up on a soapbox and being sort of nasty and trying to ruin your adventure experience with unkind words and criticism. Reflecting on things I feel bad that I tried to show my superiority about what to hunt and how. For sure I'm on the lower rung of the hunting class. Looks like there is a lot of almost inaccessible land in Quebec and plenty of bears that are hard to get to and hard to get. I don't know the situation there or how they do things so should have just kept my peace about it. Sorry and hope you can accept this apology but understand if you can't, at least right now. Bad Bill
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It takes a big man to do what you just did Bill! Many don't have any where near the stones to say their wrong and apologize. Good on ya as the Aussies say! MD
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Well done Bad Bill. More than one of us has had to choke down a little crow now and then...yeah me included!

Marathonman
SHOOTINGSTIX

QUEBEC BEAR HUNT

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Bill, I never hold anger to anyone and I salute you for your words. Apology taken. If new of a spot to go that I could aford I would go there . This was a hunt to some of the most remote land I have ever been to .Wish I could go on a spot and stack hunt to Vancover island. not in the budget.
SHOOTINGSTIX

QUEBEC BEAR HUNT

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Just got the word my #1 sporter is done . Just have to send the money and sould have it soon OOOOOOHHHHH YAAAAAAAAAAA.