Plz Be Careful!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Well I know the worst part is the psycological thing where I just freak out after an episode with those things. Every random itch has me jumping like a jackrabbit. Must be like an acid trip where the tripper can't get the bugs off. Anyway, it my mom whose been a nurse for well... ever who told me about the Vaseline thing. But maybe a guy should just carry a lighter when in tick infested area. But what fun are they on low? You have to make a statement!
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Like a red hot poker applied to a wound will cauterize it and stop the bleeding the fire will cause the tick to back itself out and the tick will be gone. However neither one is the best answer to the problem. When I was a kid I seen my father remove a tick from my sister with a cigarette and the screaming just about broke the glass in the house. It seems to me that everyone on this Board anymore wants proof when they post information so just read the fourth one at the bottom under cautions .....

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I don't need proof. I have seen it with my own eyes on my own body, and it was pain free. This is gonna be a case of "you do what you like, and I will too"

No harm no foul.

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

OK how about this.
Pull the bullet off of a 45-110, dump powder over offending tick, and light Rambo style. :D
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

That would work, but I prefer about 0.003" neck tension so pulling one in the field is sort of tough. Unless a guy switched to paper patched. It would not be unlike using a napalm strike to flush out a deer from the trees. And I do love the smell of napalm in the morning - it's good for the hangover, but after 10 a.m. it makes me kinda queazy.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
u_cant rope _the_wind

Post by u_cant rope _the_wind »

Wagonmaker wrote:They are indeed wretched little creatures. We don't have them up here... yet. I had never seen one until this spring when on my way from snowboarding in Red Lodge MT. Was camping almost every night on the way back, and stopped in Regina SK at a friend's bike shop and felt something move. AHHHH! Get it off. Then again after camping at a shoot in Bethune which is about 30 miles north of Regina. Little bastard digging into my knee. So it was summarilly dispatched. Was told of a few remedies later on. Touch a buring match or hot needle to it, and they back out. Yikes. Or slather it in Vaseline and it will suffocate. I've heard that might cause the tick to vomit into the bloodstream though and make you sick. But I'm going to look into that mainly because my motor skills limit my confidence with touching a blazing hot item to my skin. lol
over here in the eastern part of SK it is infested wth the rotten critters grrrrrrrrr
ive found the if you spray them wth a good deet based insect repelent they skidaddle or another thing is a good calogne they let go and curl up rt away,
I moved here from AB where they havent taken hold yet
what ever ya do 2day
yer gonna have to sleep wth tonight