Hunting Knives

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Bill you can't be cutting much meat up if you don't have to straighten "lick up" the edge ever so often with a steel at least.
Bucks used to be harder than Chinese arithmetic and a real pain to lick up quickly. They would quit cutting like they ought and then it took a good bit of work to bring them back to where they ought to be.
I had a meat cutter friend that was amazing to watch and he would give his knife a couple of steel licks every five minutes or so of use.
He'd bone out a hung moose quarter in about three minutes or so I'd guess. And then point out all the various cuts of meat and meat seams that were laid out on his table.
I was very impressed! MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

MD - You are right about that. 3 minutes for a mmoose? Take me 30 minutes for a rabbit. Took half a day to do a pig once. I can't even imagine trying to do a moose. Anyways, if I feel the blade the whole thing feels hollow ground and is as smooth as glass but looking at it it doesn't look that hollow at all. This is a pretty old one and the blade has naturally "blued".
PawPah

Post by PawPah »

Too bad those Schrades aren't available any more :(
.54 caliber and black.............HOLY SMOKE!
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

At risk of repeating myself from a thread some time ago, shouldn't we be hearing from Conan 'bout now? In past times somebody only had to say 'knife' and he was all over the thread. :D

Anybody know how he's doing?
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

I don't even know if they are still around but I have been using a knife made in Seward Alaska by Irwin Campbell of IRBI ( I'd Rather Be Independant) on Seward Highway. Can't find a website so maybe he's gone now or too busy to bother with the web. But if you find yourself heading into Seward you can't miss the 15 foot knife in the parking lot of his small shop. STOP you won't regret it.
He makes the blades from Chainsaw bars and the handles from about anything possible. I have bought and given away a half dozen as gifts and I have been using mine for about 15 years or so. The steel is soft but hones fast and you can sure 'git er done' when the time comes. I won't mention they are handsome tools....... I'll see if I can get a photo to upload here later
PawPah

KNIVES

Post by PawPah »

you might want to try Idaho Knife Works. they make some FINE knives.
dcwilliams

Post by dcwilliams »

Bark River makes some incredible knives for a factory knife - http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Bark-River-Knives
jmckenney

Post by jmckenney »

This is probably my favorite: I bought it from Rudy Ruana in 1968 just before leaving for SEA. I've used it from coast to coast and from the artic to sonora desert.

Bought this one from him in 1972
Couple more Ruana's that I picked up over the years:
PawPah

RUANA

Post by PawPah »

It's amazing what can be done with a Studebaker spring!!! :lol:
jmckenney

Post by jmckenney »

Pawpah: Most people would have no clue what your referring too!! I do and your right.
Brent

Post by Brent »

jmckenney wrote:Pawpah: Most people would have no clue what your referring too!! I do and your right.
I think most people would assume that you are referring to his blade material. If that's not it, then we might not have a clue. Otherwise, I think we all got it. Most folks here know a studebaker.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brent

Post by Brent »

jmckenney wrote:Never assume anything Brent,
Ya mean like when you said:
"Pawpah: Most people would have no clue what your referring too!! I do and your right."

And then:
"Never make an ass u me"
got it...
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Here is my skinner I designed, that was built by Jawbone Knives.

http://www.jawboneknives.com

Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Re: hunting knives, I've had very good performance with Green River blades available from Track of the Wolf. Their skinner blade is $10, and it is superb. I generally use oak flooring or walnut for the handle scales, copper or brass rivets to attach the handle scales, and slower curing epoxy on the blade/scale attachment to seal them from water. They have a variety of blade patterns, and they seem to perform well in the field or for any general purpose camp or household cutlery needs. And the price is right, too.

Regards