Good eats

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Just got back a couple hours ago from a Little Missouri badlands deer hunt in western ND. Kinda a hamburger doe hunt, but shot 2 nice size mule deer does; 1 with the Shiloh Sharps .45/110 and pp bullets. Camped out in the tent with a wood burning stove and eatin' good; I say ya just can't beat fun for a good time.

Regards
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Wish I was going to Kodiak again this year for deer. Went four times but kinda out of the loop of friends I used to go with since I changed churches. Not any hunters in this new group but mighty fine people!
Still have a hankerin to wonder around the south end of the Island , shoot some deer and see some Biggg bears. MD
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Iron

Sound like you had a good time, I miss hunting back home in ND, especially where you hunted, I grew along the missouri river with the river bottoms and the badlands to the south, walked many a mile down there. What kind of pp bullet were you using? Whatever it was it sounds like it worked real fine.

Mdeland
I'm curious, how big are the bodies on them deer up there in the north country?

Stephen
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Ironramrod,

Were you hunting alone?

Kelley O.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Stephen B.,

The bullet is a 0.440" 550 gr. Brooks semi-round nose with a 1/4" flat meplat patched with 9# onion skin paper to 0.4485". Alloy was range scrap water dropped and annealed to BHN=8. Last year I was using ww alloy with the same casting/annealing procedure, and it worked just as well. The bullets seem to shoot well out to at least the pig line and they seem to be an excellent hunting bullet. The rest of the load is Starline brass, CCI 200, 112 gr. Goex Fg (the pit run stuff), wax paper wad, 3/16" lube cookie, Walters wad. I taper crimp the bullets so they won't fall out of the case from shaking, but I can turn them with finger pressure. The other thing I like about them is they seem to make nice straight wound channels even when hitting bone. They also seem to exit with some serious sizzle, so they are still making good wound channels on the far side of the animal; at least for deer size animals.

Regards
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kelley O.,

Hunting alone? Well I sorta was this year, but it was only because of some circumstances a couple of the other guys had. All of us are old retired G&F biologists that have hunted together for years. This year 1 of the other guys was there at the campsite, but he came early and left before I did. Another guy didn't go out until yesterday, because he was bringing some other family members this year. The last guy's wife had some last minute health problems. The actual hunting part I was alone, but the weather was just super this year or I might not have gone out there at all; some wind at times, but nothing like it can be and this country and no snowstorms and serious mud like last year. However, there are places (very deep coulees, streams to ford, etc.) that one just shouldn't be going by yourself, especially when I'm getting to be an ol' sucker. No since taking serious chances and getting in over ones head for lack of attention.

Best Regards
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Stephen, 150 pounds would be a whopper. They are nothing like a corn fed whitetail or mule deer. MD
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Ironramrod,

Thanks.

I take it you guys left your camp set up.

Kelley O.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Mdeland for the response, those are some small deer up there.

Iron

I use pure lead swage bullets, the entry hole is a little bigger then the bullet o.d. and the exit hole is the size of a 50 cent piece. With the harder bullet how big is the exit hole. Thanks for responding to my question. I also shoot a .440 bullet with 9lb onion skin paper, thumb seated snug enough not to fall out.

Thanks

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Ironramrod;
I'm glad you mentioned the bullet could still turn after taper crimping because I wasn't happy when I taper crimped some pure lead pp bullets and couldn't get them to not turn. I'm a little paranoid about paper patch bullets coming loose with hunting loads so I over did it with the crimping. Needless to say those loads didn't shoot too good.
Sounds like a fun trip.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kelley,

Actually, when I left the camp itself the deer, and all the equipment was all in the back of the pickup, but the campsite itself is fully intact and ready for any other hunting party that wants to use it. It is a really pretty place in a creek bottom with lots of big trees (e.g. cottonwood, green ash, etc.) that break the wind really good. The campsite itself is a nice size grassy spot that has "campsite" written all over it. Lots of big brushy clumps in the draws coming into the creek bottom mainly composed of buffaloberry, chokecherry, hawthorn, etc. On a clear night there is a bazillion stars out. About the only thing I left there was a beat down grassy area where the tent was located, and a pit that had been dug sometime by some previous hunting party where I dumped the ash and sand out of the wood burning stove; then I filled the hole with water. Anyway a great spot for a hunting camp; or a Marlboro advertisement.

Regards
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Stephen,

The exit hole through the hide was about 3/4", but just under the hide it was about 1.5" or so. Skin is really stretchy stuff kinda like rubber, and the holes shot through it tend to contract after the bullet exits; the internal organs do not and give a good idea of what really happened inside the animal. The hole through the hide on the entry side was caliber size, but about 3/4" going throught the ribs just under the hide. The bullet was about 1.5" above the heart as near as I could tell but did no damage to the heart; the lungs being much softer were totally pureed, and that plus blood loss/drop in blood pressure to near zero is probably what really killed her. Chronograph tests with this load showed mv=1350, sd=4; so there is likely some serious, fairly consistent horsepower when the bullet meets the hide in hunting conditions. Also, I forgot to mention earlier that I have a newspaper primer wad inside the primer cup; sorry about that.

Regards
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Ironramrod,

That's nice, thanks.

Kelley O.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Pete,

It kinda sounds like you may have overdone the taper crimping a little. Intuitively, at least, overcrimping would have more of an effect on bullets from softer alloys than the harder alloys, and may cause some bullet deformation; probably not good for precision shooting. One thing for sure, a hunter needs to know his bullets are going to stay in the case for the entire hunting trip. He also needs to know that his first shot will go where he wants it to go.

Regards
pete

Post by pete »

Ironramrod;

Yea I think so too. Next time I'll just crimp until I can lightly pull on the bullet without it moving and forget about the turning.
I would have to think that the hunters of the 1800's would have wanted to keep their bullets secure too what with all the walking and bouncing around on horseback.