Idaho Elk and the 50-90

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Standing Elk

Idaho Elk and the 50-90

Post by Standing Elk »

Well, elk season opens next Saterday here in Idaho. Been hearin them bugling right from the ranch. I also got me a wolf tag. Have heard them sometimes in the night. Me and the ol 50-90 are gunna take the mule up on the mountain and givin her a try come Saterday morning. I'll let ya know how it turns out.
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

Good luck, I killed a 54 inch moose with my 50-90 this year. Did a wonderful job. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

SE-what load you using? I'm leaving Oct. 23 for ID., deer and elk. My 50 will be going too!

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

My 50 is being built, but it is not ready yet. Of course that means you all stink for beatin me to the elk with your 50's. Now how do ya feel about that? :wink: :wink: Good luck up there in Idaho to all of you, and I understand the grey wolf problem up there and hope you nail a wolf too. It goes without sayin you gotta share your huntin sto-rees with us bout' it. Jeff
Standing Elk

Reply to Manny

Post by Standing Elk »

I am useing a .511" 675 grain 20-1 flat nose bullet with SPG, 90 grains of Swiss 1 1/2G powder, CCI benchrest primers, .060" veg. fiber wad over the powder with about .120" compression. Off a good rest and on a good bright day (my ol eyes are not quite what they once were) I can normally keep 5 shots in 2" -- 2 1/4" at 100 yds. I think that someone with better eys could probably do better but for now the gun seems to like this load pretty well. I will probably monkey with it some more next summer and see if I can get her to do any better. Thanks S. E.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

SE,

Thanks for the info. and good luck on your hunt. Let us know how it goes!

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Good luck on that hunt. A big 50 is serious elk medicine and the cow I shot was the quickest elk kill I've ever seen. She was running straight away and I put a 500 grain greaser right at the base of her tail at 150 yards. The bullet lodged just under the hide on her neck and she dropped like she'd been hit with a sledge hammer.

Marathonman
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

I'll be damned if I would take that shot no matter what kind of gun I'd be shooting........to each his own I guess.

Charlie
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

It was the right thing to do in this case. Had you been there you probably would have done the same thing. This was a cow that had been shoulder shot by another hunter a day or two earlier and she was about to get away and die a horrible death. The ranch manager thanked me for what I did.

Marathonman
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Makes sense.......

Charlie
Jeff Bryan

arrow.

Post by Jeff Bryan »

I know a guy that the only shot he got on an 8 point (eastern count) whitetail also had to be taken at the proctologist angle. The arrow went in through the deer's exit hole and managed to sever the femoral artery which does pass through the area. The photos drew some attention from the folks at hunting headquarters, as about 12 inches of arrow and vanes were sticking out the bucks tailpipe. Talk about a pain in the ass....
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Jeff with all due respect.......if the fellow would have been a true hunter of ethics he would have passed on the shot. Maybe that sounds like it came straight from a bowhunter ed. manual, but being an instructor for almost 20 years it probably did.

Charlie
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Hi Charlie,

I would have not taken the shot I can tell you that. That guy was pretty good with a bow as evidenced by at least 3-4 very nice trophy mounts of either Pope& Young or very close to P&Y whitetails. Still, I would not want to shoot a deer up the crack like that. I think they deserve a more dignified and less painful death.

Jeff