Bad judgement + bad luck = bad day

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Post by pete »

Top Dog;
Thank you yery much. You mentioned traditional gear and it seems like most of the guys I've met while antelope hunting with a bp gun gave the impression that they think it's more of a stunt than anything, this incident not withstanding.

fatbelly; That's quite a story. Your hunting partners kind of overreacted, not even getting your side of the story. You'd think they would have just gave you a little ribbing. That's too bad.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

OK,now is the time I must confess and cleanse my soul.
Go back to Nov '66,I had just come back on leave from my third tour in 'Nam.
I went out and was hunting grouse and was confronted by a NY Game Warden who politely asked to see my hunting license.

I did not have a license but showed him my military ID card and was expecting to loose everything.

The warden handed back the ID card and told me to go obtain a license and then come back hunting.

This suprised me greatly being that Vietnam Vets were pretty much looked down upon then.

And yes,I did get my license and returned to area to hunt but never saw that warden again.

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
pete

Post by pete »

Cool story. Game Wardens like anybody else come in good and jerk forms.
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

Pete

Thank you for your kind words. I suppose it seems a little harsh but shooting at game you ain't supposed to over here is only just short of murder in some eyes. I think it harks back to mediaeval times (or beyond) where the king granted lands to the gentry and woe betide anyone who trespassed or attempted to take game therein without permission :shock:

Just an old English tradition. Keep the bastards in their place!!!!!

Heck you can't even shoot rabbit or pigeon these days without a permit, certification and Lord knows what else, let alone permission from the landowner. It's why I don't hunt much these days, too much red tape. :oops:

I hunt paper and clays and that's fraught with legislation. :evil:
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

fatbelly,

An what you said is a shame, as you guys have very plump Rabbits & Doves over there.

When I was over in England Harold mentioned he hadn't seen any Rabbits. I asked him if he was blind, which he replyed NO. So I took him by the hand an walked him over to the dinning room window an pointed out several very fat Rabbits, right out in the open. Oh, Harold says, I didn't see them, and I asked him again if he was blind and a very loud NO was heard through out the room :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.
Last edited by Kelley O. Roos on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

Kelley

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!
zrifleman

Post by zrifleman »

mdeland---Your logic, if it is logic could be applied to hunting, deer, elk, buffalo, etc, and most big game. Also, leave the muzzleloaders home and my favorite pet peave---bows and arrows.
pete

Post by pete »

On a positive note my wife batter fried some steaks and they were excellent so at least that's good.
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Lazer wrote:Pete:

When a person accidentally backs into somebodies parked car in a parking lot, he has a few choices:
1. Wait for the owner and make it right.
2. Leave a note with contact information on the vehicle's windshield and make it right on a later date.
3. Leave a fake not on the windshield, like "tooo bad!" and leave..

Lazer
Kind of like this honourable fellow did.

I really hate to say it, but if my honour was put to the test, knowing the local game wardens here as I do, I'd at least go home and dig up the crappiest Savage Model 1899 I could find. :oops: And that's IF I decided that discretion wasn't the better part of valour. We have a few conservation guys around whom I know aren't very understanding. The big boss man for the area is cool though.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Some of the European laws about game are totally unjust. I read of low class serf type guy being hung for taking a rabbit (or maybe it was a hog) when his family was starving. Years ago, of course.

As far as mistakes, the dilemma is whether you will be caught or not and whether the punishment will be too severe or ridiculous. From what Mdeland says, I'd be hesitant to turn myself in in Alaska and probably wouldn't unless I figured the whole situation had been witnessed or I'd be caught with the meat anyway; just walking away from a down animal wouldn't be an option for me although maybe that would be a possible course of action for some. I just hate wasting meat. However, I could also understand someone just walking away from the scene for fear of extreme fines or jail time which would affect his family. Something is amiss up in AK, it sounds like. Sort of like in Europe.

As far as the wounded antelope, maybe the guys that shot them didn't even know what had happened as they scattered over the hill. Then again, they might be just irresponsible.
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

I think you might be surprised if you just talked with your local wardens (one on one) and asked them how they have handled similar situations in the past.

I know of several situations here of rumors of officers being heavy handed but when the facts were on the table the shooters were attempting to minimize what they actually did by lying about the incident.

Lazer
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Well, there's always three sides to every story. My side, your side, and what really went down. :)
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
pete

Post by pete »

Well the Alaska DOW attitude definately seems counterproductive, at least from looking from the outside in .

Things might have been different if I had a doe license and met the Warden with a trophy buck. That would look pretty suspicious.
I wasn't sure what the ramifications were going to be because I've heard of some reasonable outcomes and some heavy punishment dealt out in the past. It probably comes down to something similar to what lazer said in that some of these guys were really trying to get away with something and some weren't.