Area 23 (75 mi NW Kotzebue) Moose?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Area 23 (75 mi NW Kotzebue) Moose?

Post by Brent »

A window of opportunity just opened to do a drop camp for moose 75 mi NW of Kotzebue in Area 23 I think it is. This would be mid September next year.

As I have said before, there is nothing I would rather hunt than moose. And suddenly an opportunity drops in my lap.

Because this is completely out of the blue, I have done zero homework so far (have had all of 24 hrs to get started). So, I guess this is the beginning of that process.

Any thoughts on the quality of the region, the type of habitat, the middle of September (after first week of season) for timing? What I know about this area is pretty close to zilch, but I swear I saw a bull moose when I zoomed in with Google Earth!

Seriously, anyone with experience in the area, your comments would be more than welcome!

Thanks,
Brent
Brentdiastate.edu (if you wish to go offline).
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Brent:

I suspect that's on the Noatak? I was on a fire in 1974 just east of there on the Squirrel River, a tributary of the Tutusuk, or was it the other way around? Just NW of Kiana.

Anyway, WILD country. Very WILD. Muskeg and black spruce with some white spruce along the riparian areas. It's not continuous spruce. Good glassing country above the timber as I recall. The timber line is going to be low. Maybe at a thousand feet or so that far north. Lots of black bears and some grizzlies. There were large (huge) sea run arctic char in the rivers, grayling and pike... sheefish.

Gawd, your going to have an adventure.

Lazer

PS. I remember my first time into Kotzebue. There was a dead seal that had just washed up on the beach, I was a 22 year old kid and thought that was pretty amazing to have a dead seal wash right up in "town". Two weeks later I was flown in there and dropped off waiting for another tail dragger to pick me up ... had some time so I walked through town again. There was that dam seal still stinking up the whole town.

Why Kotzebue is where it is, is a mystery to me. A strange place to camp. You get the wind blowing off that cold bearing sea and the temp drops fast.

p.p.s I really liked the Eskimos, nice friendly people.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Lazer,
75 mi NW of Kotzebue seems to be well inside of Krusenstern National Monument. Which would be US Park Service management. I would think hunting would be off limits there. And the US Park Service is not a very friendly organization in my experience. On the other hand, things may be different up there.

The Noatak seems more likely but that is pretty much straight North of Kotzebue and the guy claims NW?

The Noatak would be Forest Service or BLM land or what?

Obviously, I have a lot of homework to do.

Fish eh? Can I shoot one with a paper patch? Wonder if that's ever been done before? :?:

Just kidding. Fly fishing for sea run char would be a hoot too

Thanks,
Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Brent:

Alaska is a real hoge-poge of land status. It's a long story as to WHY. You might read up on the Alaska Native Claim Settlement Act.... a fascinating bit of Alaska history. (At least it was fascinating to me, since it had such a big impact on firefighting when I was chasing fires....)

No National Forests north of Souteastern AK.... outside the NPS land, it's going to be either BLM, state, or native lands. There is a square mile around each village that will be "native land", and then around that that there should be a chunk of "native corporation land", some sections and half sections of "native historic lands" (interspersed everywhere), probably not much state land up in that part of Alaska and the rest will be BLM..... when I say "sections" I mean square miles, AK was never surveyed.

Ask your guy if he is talking "true" NW or "magnetic" NW! It changes faster as you get closer to the poles!

Lazer :shock:
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

P.S. I was never in that part of the state in mid September but I do know that winter comes early in that neck of the woods!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I got out my regs and map for this year and it looks like the Noatak National Preserve or possibly Kobuk Valley National preserve just below.
I don't see anything but drawing permits for non-residents though. It is a 50 inch , four brow tines on at least one side area just above the Arctic Circle so you will probably be in the snow.
You have to leave the meat on the bones in this area until after Oct 1.
Closest, not very, villages are Ambler, Kobuk and Shunguak. I've never been that far north in the state myself. MD
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have found the two regions finally. One is NE of Noatak (upper reaches of Noatak and Kelly Rivers) and the other East of Kotezbue (Agashash and Squirrel river region.

Why would I want to leave meat on the bones until after 1 Oct? I plan to be home by then. And for sure, the season is closed by then.

I just killed my moose in the backyard this morning. I know that doesn't make sense given this is Iowa, but I'll post something later to explain.

Brent
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

It is in the game regs that one cannot bone meat out until after Oct 1 to pack it out. It spoils faster in warm weather when boned out I would guess is the reasoning behind this. MD
whiskeybill

Post by whiskeybill »

Brent,

I was trying to book a hunt up there two years ago and it fell apart, but I got alot of research done in the process. I don't know who is flying you into a drop camp, but I do know they won't drop you off alone. You either have to have a companion or hire a guide. (and a satellite phone) I was working with Joe Schuster and Alaska Air and Guide Service. I would have gone into either area 23 or 24. Commercial flight (Penn Air) into Galena, then the outfitter would have flown me out to the drop camp.

Joe said the September time frame was ideal as it wasn't too awful cold yet, but cold enough to get the bugs down, and expect rain and some snow. If you have gotten your regs from Alaska Wildlife then you will see that there are three National Parks / Monuments in area 23. It will be the outfitters job to make sure you're not sideways there as they are awarded concessions in those areas.

Joe made sure I recieved a list of things I absolutely needed to bring and what he would provide for the drop camp. Make sure you don't have some coyote flying you out there. My brother-in-law did a "Good Deal" hunt up there a few years ago, and the pilot that was supposed to come out to get them was drunk and forgot about them. I'm not kidding about that. It happens more than you care to think.

Anyway, I did get to go out to Adak Island and bag a Caribou, but it still ain't Moose hunting. I hope you get to go and bag a big bull!!
Regards,
Bill
Brent

Post by Brent »

Bill,
Thanks for the note. We are pretty confident in our outfitter. He is Ram Aviation. We have good recommendations, independently gathered about him. So, I'm liking this more and more. Getting a tag will be a gamble of course, but nothing we can do about that. There are two of us.

We will probably be out there in the first part or midSept at the latest it looks like.

This thing against boning out meat seems damn ridiculous when backpacking and bush planes are involved.

Brent
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

AK G &F wants all four quarter, ribs, neck, all the evidence that you actually packed out the whole critter and did not waste any meat. It's not about logic or reasonable common sense it's about writing you up if you're a bad boy. Shot up quarters don't count. And don't pack the antlers until ALL the meat is in camp. If your guide/transporter can land so can the fish cops. Be clean and they're nice guys. The wardens don't write the rules they just write tickets if you don't follow the rules.
Moose + guide + horse = smart. Moose, no guide + backpack = problems.
Sept 15 in my wedding anniversary..... my lucky day.... shot two moose on the 15th over the years. Moose meat is highly over-rated at over 50" with 4 brow points. Processing and shipping at Alaska prices teaches you to only do it once.
Have fun. Nothing like the crash of a big bull moose going down!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yes, I know the rules. I just don't understand the rules. There is a difference.

"Moose + guide + horse =" rich man
"Moose, no guide + backpack =" me.

And besides it being a rich man option, hunting with someone hovering over my shoulder is not my cup of tea.

If pain and suffering is the penance for a moose my way, then so be it. I've been there before.

Brent
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Hey, I hear ya, but remember; In Alaska there are no mulligans, you get one chance and it's your life on the line even with a guide. Oh, and if you have a 'problem' in the bush, AK also sends you the bill to bail you out even if you don't survive. It's a tough place, it's not Kansas .... or Oz.
You don't have to understand the rules, you just have to abide by them.
Self guided is always the most personally satisfying way and that's a fact.
whiskeybill

Post by whiskeybill »

Brent, from what I've been able to garner through lots of educated opinions (none my own), it's felt that the Outfitters association up there was behind the no boning out rule. No matter what, it makes a hunter think twice about a do-it-yourself hunt. Regardless, if you are going out with an outfitter for a drop camp, you should be able to get tags through them. It's just a deadline they have to deal with to get the hunts booked and apply for the tags. It shouldn't be a problem as hunting and fishing trips to Alaska have declined dramatically in the past couple of years.

Just keep in touch with the outfitter throughout the process. He will tell you what to bring as far as equipment (good LaCross hip waders are at the top of the list). You've checked them out to the best of your ability, now it's time to just trust them and the information they pass on to you.

Like I said, I wanted to get up there and had a hunt planned, but my partner had to bail, and no one else could make it (too expensive). I certainly couldn't afford the guide. Believe me, if I could have, I would have certainly gone that route. One of my best friends just had a son move up there. Maybe I'll get a moose that way.. Time will tell. Best of luck to ya!!
Regards,
Bill
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Brent:

Just to clear the air....don't expect to show up in that outfitter's camp and see a pony or two... That is not horse country and I'll feed you a steak dinner if you are ever in Salmon, Idaho if you are within 350 miles of a horse on that hunt.

Lazer

p.s. and another two bits says if Alaska didn't have that law on boned out meat there would be tons of meat left in the field. TONS