Area 23 (75 mi NW Kotzebue) Moose?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Post by Brent »

Bill, I don't hunt with just anyone. My other usual partner in stuff like this just bought a house and just got back from Africa.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
whiskeybill

Post by whiskeybill »

Brent wrote:Well, it was all a little too good to be true. My partner in this backed out. So, I'm back to square 1.

Man what a bummer.

Brent
That happens more often than not. I know exactly how you feel.

Bill
Regards,
Bill
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Brent:

Partner or none, you still have to go on this trip. All of your unofficial advisers are counting on it! :D

We are all living vicariously through you and the planning on this hunt. 8)

Don't let us down! :evil:

L
Brent

Post by Brent »

Lazer, this is not the kind of hunt that is done alone. While I would actually do the hunting alone, one needs a partner in camp and to help with butchering and so forth. The outfitters will not drop off singles. So, I tried a second buddy, but he just got back from Africa hunting and bought a house. He is tapped out.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Bet he got tapped out real fast when he found out you just want someone to set up camp, cook, and do the butchering! The fact you are so picky doesn't help and you better believe that the other guy will be picky too which ain't in your favor now either seeing how the deal is. I could imagine someone on this here forum hankering to go on such a moose hunt, but probably not to play camp host :lol:
Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, Bill, it was all his idea in the first place, so don't have too much sympathy for him.

I'm going to have to rethink this and come up with a better plan, but I liked this one as long as it was working

Brent
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

I don't have any much sympathy for him as he sounds like a bit of a flake - going strong for a trip he suggests and then getting involved otherwise and kissing off the deal previous made. He'd probably wander out of camp, shoot a moose, and then get lost. You'd maybe have to rescue him and cut and pack the critter yourself.
Best wishes on getting a trip together. I'm with Lazer on this one :)
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

You are right Brent! I did one alone in 87 because my usual pardner couldn't go. I flew into a little lake by myself for a week and killed a 51 inch bull the second day.
He was about 800 ft lower and a mile away on about a 40 degree incline out of the basin I shot him in.
As soon as I dumped him a bull of near 70 inches stood up not 75 yards behind. I was rather chagrined but my tag was filled, groan!
Well I got him quartered out and cut up and loaded one hind on my pack frame.
I could barely get to my feet and a short ways up the incline decided my load was to great. I boned it out and went on into camp. I was two full days getting that moose whittled down into loads I could handle up that slope.
Finally got him out and back up to the lake and had three more days to kill before the plane came.
I didn't like that hunt much doing it all by myself and never will do it again unless nobody will go again. :lol:
Brent

Post by Brent »

MD, going alone is simply not an option. The outfitters I have talked to won't even consider dropping just one person.

I thought you were telling me that you can't legally bone out a moose in the field?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yes, in the area you are going to hunt that is true until October 1, not so where I killed this bull in 1987 near Talkeetna. MD
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Brent:

I wasn't serious about you going it alone...

Aren't you glad you started this post!!!! :lol:

Lazer
Brent

Post by Brent »

Lazer wrote:Brent:

I wasn't serious about you going it alone...

Aren't you glad you started this post!!!! :lol:

Lazer
Well, I"m pretty bummed that I had all these hopes and plans coming together and then lost it all. I have put up a double rifle for sale to help finance it as well. But somehow, I will go. Just not sure about the where and when again.

If I could choose between the "Big 5" in Africa and a good moose hunt in northern Alaska, the Alaska trip would win hands down. It is the one place and thing I have always always wanted to do.

I ain't givin' up yet. Just falling back and regrouping (again).