BP grocery shopping & moose

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

BP grocery shopping & moose

Post by Brent »

Well, this is the result of the morning shopping out in back of the house. Nice heavy body on this guy. I think he outweighs me so in the 225+ range.

He may not look like a moose, but the rifle is. It is an original Joseph Lang; about 170 yrs old. It is a rifled percussion double in extraordinary condition. And now that I have killed something with it, I'm going to sell it and go moose hunting. At least that's the current plan.

Anyway, we now have the first of this year's groceries. Almost time to head out again for another.

Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
e15cap

Post by e15cap »

Brent, Nice deer and rifle. Was he close to home? See ya in Phoenix.
Roger
Brent

Post by Brent »

Roger, he was 200 yds from the back door. Maybe less. Had knee surgery 2 weeks ago, so I had a hell of a time dragging him a few dozen yds to where I could get him with the tractor. But from there, it was all good. Went back out tonight but just got one glimpse of a deer at a distance that was too far, too dark. Always tomorrow.

Man, it is good to hear you will be in PHX!!!

It's gonna be great! Gotta finish loading. See you then.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Nice work Brent! Are the barrels Damascus? MD
Brent

Post by Brent »

mdeland wrote:Nice work Brent! Are the barrels Damascus? MD
Yes. Not an especially fancy pattern like some of my mid to late 19th century shotties but it is a damascus of some sort. It is a pretty darn cool rifle. But it is time to head it on down the road now.

I have been hoping to kill a monster buck with it, and two seasons back, I had just that chance on a huge buck at about 20 yds. But I thought antlers were off limits that day. When I got home I found out I was wrong. It would have been the perfect opportunity for that rifle.

Brent
Brent

Post by Brent »

Left barrel this time, and a whole lot smaller - about 100# probably. About 2 hrs ago.

Apologies for the poorly composed photo, I was racing the clock with a dead headlamp and 5 minutes of light to get him gutted.

Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Well, shooot. I was figuring you'd drug out your Tempurpedic mattress, tied the pillows to the top of it and blasted it at 200yds as moose practice for up and coming hunt. Was interested in the balistice of penetration of said contest.
pete

Post by pete »

Brent;
Using a modern made bp rifle and killing an animal is special enough and using one that old is something really special. With the historic value of something like that I'd be too afraid I'd damage it though. Good job.