Black Hills Buffalo

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ridgerun

Black Hills Buffalo

Post by ridgerun »

A picture of buffalo taken in the Black Hills. Rifle is a .45/90 English Sporting rifle I built on a trapdoor action. Buffalo taken with one shot at about 90 yards with a 470 grain LBT with a .370 meplat from an Applegate brass mould cast in 20:1 behind 67 grains of 1.5 swiss with a beeswax wad/spg wad/.060 wad. Load shoots to point of aim from cold clean barrel and will shoot many rounds to POA without blowtubing. Second photo is the rifle at this years Quigley.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Ridgerun,

Nice buffalo, and VERY nice Springfield sporter. Who built it? They certainly did a fine job!

Clarence
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

I built the rifle with help from Treebone Carving on wood and gunsmith Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana on barrel fitting/sights. I was inspired by a caplock English Sporting Rifle I saw at the Cody Firearms Museum and then used caplock english sporting rilfe plans and parts from Track of the Wolf as a basis for the build. I had always wanted to shoot a buffalo with it and did so last week.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Well done on all counts.

Marathonman
rdnck

Well Done

Post by rdnck »

ridgerun--You said you were going to take a buffalo when we visited at Quigley. You have done well both with the rifle and the buffalo.

Guys, I looked this rifle over from one end to the other at Quigley. I was camped a couple of spaces away from ridgerun, and ridgerun took my breath away with this rifle. It is simply exquisite. The pictures don't do it justice. Not even close. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

Beautiful rifle. I've always had a soft spot for the Springfield. The action certainly lends itself to a slim profile.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

There is a set of pictures of a beautiful Trapdoor on the Treebone carving site that looks like a fine, straight grip shotgun. Go to the address and scroll down.

http://www.treebonecarving.com/id2.html

Don't tell Mulhearn but Trapdoors are handsome rifles.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

When they are built like that they are! Ridgerun you did a mighty fine job on that rifle and that good looking buffalo!

R,
Dennis Beckwith
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
pete

Post by pete »

That is a very fine rifle and a big cow. It's amazing that it shot so good with the bullet behind the powder. :) How long did it take to build? If you don't mind me asking , who did you hunt with and do they have a website?
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

Thanks to you all. My rifle is pictured on the Treebone Carving website under trapdoors. The build probably took me a year plus, but I have learned to be patient as I get older. Just acquired another parts trapdoor and have another idea for a rifle .................

the journey is the gift
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I agree with the rest she's a beauty! I really like the subdued original case colors, checkering pattern and wipe rod.
She fairly screams take me hunting good looking or not!
I think of a Rigby when I see it. Well done! MD
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Ridgerun,

Congratulations on that fine buffalo taken with an equally fine rifle! Being partial to trapdoors myself, I'd say you have a spendid example.

Don't worry about Mulhern. He has a soft spot for those old Springfields. I've built several custom Springfields myself including a .22 LR.

TL
2nd GUSA
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau