Blackpowder Swan

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Ridge, I have eaten goose.....Does swan taste similarly? That bird is impressive. It looks like a small airplane. I believe one would want to get out of the way when one sings its "swan song." (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

My Parker is a plain Jane version and has moderate pitting in first half of the barrels. Chambers are clean. Stock has a hole where someone had installed some kind of oval decoration, which has since been lost. Overall, the gun is tight and functions well. Both locks are strong. It weighs somewhere around 8.5 lbs. It is just plain fun to hunt with. Its interesting to try to get both hammers back when jump shooting - usually it is a single shot in those situations.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Ridgerun getting back to the technical end of things... What hull were you loading and did you roll crimp them? What chokes in the Parker? About what kind of velocity did the load produce? bobw
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

I'd be very careful about shooting a Damascus barrel, esp. one with any pitting. Damascus is layered steel and the layers can rust or corrode between them, thus rendering the barrel very weak. Maybe take the gun to a competent assessor of such guns before shooting it anymore!
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

My load uses Cheditte paper hulls cut to 2 5/8 inch, 3.5 drams 3F black powder, 1/8 inch cardboard overpowder wad, 2/3 of a !/2 inch fiber wad,
1 1/4 ounce of #2 Nice Shot, and then an overshot card wad. Near as I can tell, my gun has full/full chokes. Not sure what the velocity of the load is. I do know the load patterns about 80% in a 30 inch circle at 30 yards.