Turkey Total

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bad Bill

Turkey Total

Post by Bad Bill »

Rifle, $4,000; 3 day guide and camp, $1,500; Travel, etc. $1,000. No Turkey shot. :cry:

20 lb turkey at Safeway at 47 cents/lb - $9.40 - don't have to pluck his feathers either. :)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Sounds like you had a good trip. How about some more details like where? And what sort of $4k turkey rifle (that alone should be interesting). And where are the photos.

An empty handed turkey hunt beats a Safeway Slimball turkey every single time.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

What trip? I'm just calculating. :oops: Would be trip is in Gila Wilderness, $4,000 turkey rifle is still at Cabela's on the shelf. Jenny O 14lb turkey is in the freezer already. :(
Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, hell, do it the working man's style.

Take the gun you got, put it in the truck, and kill it on your own. You don't need no stinkin' guide. And, you can do it on your way back or way to, PHX to shoot the match next week. Simple plans work the best.

Get movin'!
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

You ever hunted a NM turkey? I spent 20 yrs trying to find one before I even saw one and that one was part of a flock that was enticed by conservationists wanting to make photos of it. And, was out of season. Plus, there were witnesses all around.

I think it was that old beat up over/under was why I couldn't find one. A new gun and a guide should put the turkey on the table. Thing is, would this be any better than the Jenny O turkey?

I almost think it would be worse. Shootin an animal someone takes me to and points out when and where to shoot it doesn't appeal to me; I'd rather go home empty handed. For me, the fun is in the walking, looking, finding, and stalking. The shooting is just what has to happen at the end if I want to take home the game. Sometimes I don't even shoot. Funny me 8)
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Bill, I hunted the Gila national wilderness once for black bear when I was in the service down there. No bear but I got a yoddle poodle.
That was some trip. We camped under the stars with nothing but a sleeping bag from the base exchange that kept ten chickens warm at one time.
I remember making a shelter the second night and going to sleep a good 15 feet away from the camp fire and one of the stones in the fire pit exploded sending a piece over that span into the shelter and nailing me right in the neck. It burned a dime size spot under my jaw and woke me up proto quick!
The first night we found a stream and followed it down hill until it became a gorge and we were in the water up to our arm pits until it got to dark and steep to follow any longer. We hauled out on a stone bench, rolled out our bags and went to sleep.
No sleeping pads, no tents, no bug nets. Frying pan, canteen, sleeping bag, some grub and our rifles was all we had and a great adventure was had by all for four days.
We even found an ancient cliff dwelling along one of trails they have established there that we came across and looked around it a bit. Sure looked like a tough place to make a living. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Had an old army friend who claims his uncle while hunting in the Gila found a cache of gold bars in the Gila. They were cone shaped because they were made by the Spanish conquistadors or maybe the Indians then who just poked a hole in the ground and made it wider at the top and poured the gold in. So, the uncle brought two of the 10 lb bars out but then couldn't find the spot again. So, for years I wanted to go there and finally started to many years ago.

So, the Gila is big but not so big that they didn't wipe out the Griz by 1930 or so. Something like that. Of course I'm sort of for that as camping with griz is not my thing. They wiped out the wolves too and even the introduced ones. I'm less happy about that but it is not my issue. There's plenty of big elk around there and I've seen herds of a hundred. Out of season. Mtn lions they chase with dogs, but not me. Bears are there and a couple species of deer and turkeys. So they say, ha, ha. Seems to me only the biologists know where the turkeys are. And some guides that I suspect feed them. Same for javelina. Just try to see one. I have seen mtn sheep but believe they are illegal to shoot and anyway they are 1000yds across the canyon from where you can get. If you really want to hunt in the Gila and get something you almost need a guide. I say almost. I like going it alone (or with a couple partners)and so come up short most of the time which isn't that bad of a deal in some ways. The idea for me isn't to kill, but to hunt. Oh, yeah, I'm no stalker type either which means I stumble around on the trail or sit and wait and watch across from a high spot. Still, just getting out there is the fun part.

Hey, I like Jenny o turkeys and all that white meat for sandwiches! This is a great country where you can buy a 15lb turkey for under $10. That's 30 meals, man!
FFG

Post by FFG »

:shock:
Last edited by FFG on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Nice bird :D Nice gun - 44-40? :idea: Nice flowery meadow - the little blue flower above the turkey to the left is a commenlina or day flower - they need a fair amount of water. :o
FFG

Post by FFG »

That is a 30 WCF, location is South Texas.
Cost of the hunt was zero. :D
I don't know about the flowers.
FFG
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Looks like that will do it! Also, looks like a mountain meadow to me; must be a nice place any turkey would be happy to graze in.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Of course, if I was going to spend a whole bunch of money on a big trip to some exotic hunting spot I would re-do the calculations to try to get some meat or game trophy. Otherwise, I would just go on a trek there. Besides, some places you have to have a guide and crew or it is very highly advised and foolhardy not to. Or, so I have read. For one thing, the locals don't want the liability and publicity of recovering your body. :wink:
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Sure can't complain! That store bought turkey was mighty tender and that giblet dressing mighty fine. It is good to know that one thing done right in this country is raising turkeys. Reminds me of my grandma's corn fed ones. They didn't raise them but would get one a month before and fatten 'er up. Yum. Saw turkey as low as .37/lb. Now, that's the American way! Happy Thanksgiving :)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Bill, me thinks you have never eaten a wild turkey.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Nope, never ate a wild turkey - yet. Had some try to eat me, however.