Turkey Total

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Post by Brent »

Well, when you get a wild one on the table, you will reassess the modern factory version.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Hope to get the chance to reassess one of these days. And if a flock of wild National Park turkeys gets you cornered, just toss them your Cornnuts and beat feet like I did. Jurassic Park has nothing on them :)
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

I'm pretty sure Bill drinks his wild turkey. :lol: :lol:

Steve
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Bad Bill, You are missing the point..........It's not about the turkey. It's all about the HUNT. I feel sorry for you. Happy Thanksgiving.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Yer right, it's the hunt. My wife hunted down a spiral cut ham at $1.47/lb. Man, was that a good bag. Fully cooked so we immediately made ham sandwiches. At restaurant prices the first two sandwiches paid for the ham. Seeing that was last week we have had ham sandwiches 6 more times since, plus a Denver omlet. Still got half the ham. Tomorrow it is noodles and ham plus cook the bone with green peas.

This is a great country. You can track down a hickory smoked ham and have 20 meals for 2 off of it for $15. Gotta love them ham factories. Plus, I got to sit and watch football all during the catching stage. :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

Bill ,you best go get a few more of them hams cause one of these days the muslim is gonna come out of the big "O" and there won't be anymore pork to eat. Him knowing so much about healthcare and all he'll probably decide they cause swine flu and have them all eliminated. bobw
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Well, I won't tell anyone what they have to eat but to me it makes no sense not to eat ham these days with knowledge of microbiology and parasites and what to do about them. At one time it was maybe smart not to eat pork; uncooked, anyway.

I suppose the Muslims, being kinda somewhat derived from Jewish beliefs, hang on to this as being a revelation to Mohammed. I say derived from Jewish beliefs in that it appears Mohammed kinda took a little bit of this and that from what beliefs were around him including Christianity. One thing, he did get rid of idols and was able to figure out that there is one God.
I say took in the sense that he accepted certain things and figured those were revealed to him, to boot. He rejected other things and figured the same. Most of these ideas of his and revelations were written down on scraps of paper that were shuffled into the book called the Koran. So, it must mention not eating pork; don't know if all Muslims hold to this; some liberal Jews eat pork but they are no doubt shunned by the Orthodox Jews; as would Muslims be that eat pork be shunned by some others. All Jews arn't the same nor are all Muslims. More, they are like all the Protestant groups with various beliefs and emphasis on this or that.

I believe it was Peter the Apostle who had a dream that all foods were okay; maybe he had this under pressure from Paul who got it thru a vision that changed his life. Anyway, we like turkey and ham and most animals except bugs.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Bill you probably have to do your religious arguing with mdeland or Big 50. I don't worry bout that stuff to much. But if you and your woman would take up motorcycling maybe you would get to like the taste of bugs. :o :wink: Besides think how "green" that would get you. bobw
Jeff Bryan

How to get a turkey on a wild hog budget.

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Bad Bill,

Now I am gonna tell you how to kill a wild turkey, and you listen good, cause this is how I did it, and with a bow and arrow, so you can certainly do it with a bpcr: go to central Texas on a hog hunt, and stalk hogs early in the morning while it is still cool and the hogs are still moving around. When the turkeys get in the way and won't leave, you bust one. That simple. You paid maybe $110 for the hog hunt, but walked away with a target of opportunity instead, and since it is a wild turkey instead of a butterball brand, you deep fry it like chicken instead of baking it in the oven. Also, you discard the legs as they ain't no good. You only cook the breast! Got it?

Jeff
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

I have found the best way to get turkeys is to just mash 'em with your truck. As long as they don't take you're windshield out you're good to go. :lol:
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Thanks, Rooster, I'll add it to the repertoire. In fact, Just finsished studying a video on how to hunt turkey. Must say, I am not into hiding inside a camoflage tent to begin with. However, the close-up film of the big gobbler chasing the hens was quite interesting. Seems he settled upon the decoy turkey as his mate :roll:
bobw

Post by bobw »

Bad Bill, you take an leave the turkey leg and thigh in one piece,put them in your slow cooker. Pour a bottle of GOOD beer over the turkey legs and thighs with a little onion and garlic. 10-12 hrs later you can peel the meat off no effort with a fork to get out those pesky tendons. bobw (ps same with canada goose thigh and legs)
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

bobw wrote:Bad Bill, you take an leave the turkey leg and thigh in one piece,put them in your slow cooker. Pour a bottle of GOOD beer over the turkey legs and thighs with a little onion and garlic. 10-12 hrs later you can peel the meat off no effort with a fork to get out those pesky tendons. bobw (ps same with canada goose thigh and legs)
Hmmm. Same with pheasants.
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="bobw"]Bad Bill, you take an leave the turkey leg and thigh in one piece,put them in your slow cooker. Pour a bottle of GOOD beer over the turkey legs and thighs with a little onion and garlic. 10-12 hrs later you can peel the meat off no effort with a fork to get out those pesky tendons. bobw (ps same with canada goose thigh and legs)[/quote]

Come on bobw, why not just drink the beer and invite Bad Bill over with his ham sandwiches, it could be fun.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Brant Selb wrote:
bobw wrote:Bad Bill, you take an leave the turkey leg and thigh in one piece,put them in your slow cooker. Pour a bottle of GOOD beer over the turkey legs and thighs with a little onion and garlic. 10-12 hrs later you can peel the meat off no effort with a fork to get out those pesky tendons. bobw (ps same with canada goose thigh and legs)
Come on bobw, why not just drink the beer and invite Bad Bill over with his ham sandwiches, it could be fun.

Brant
Prolly a good idea ,but Bill squeezes his nickles and I doubt he is gonna drive to SD for a ham sandwich. So being the good guy I am I just told him how to get the most out of his turkey and cook his goose too. Makes for some dang good eating and well hey I wouldn't tell just anybody about it. Glad to hear the reports of your demise were greatly exagerated :lol: bobw