NEW RIFLE FIRST BUFFALO

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SHOOTINGSTIX

NEW RIFLE FIRST BUFFALO

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Im sorry that the pic are not here yet I just got back from montana.
the buffalo was a cow , One shot put her down, with my new # one sporter 45-90 . this shot was somthing I have dreamed about for years, and to do it with a sharps . but to all I just want to thank all of you for all our help over the years learning how to shoot black powder cartridge. without all of you It would never have happened so to all of you, from the bottom of my heart and soul THANK YOU ALL.
Stix
I PICK IT UP IT GOE'S BANG .. ITS ALL GOOD.
High Plains Shooter

Post by High Plains Shooter »

this shot was somthing I have dreamed about for years, and to do it with a sharps...

Life is good

Congrats!
Last edited by High Plains Shooter on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Shottingstix,

Good job on your "first" bison. When you get a chance, can you include some details of the hunt, location and cost, as well as details of the load you used and how it performed. Don't forget the pics!

Good job,

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
rdnck

The rest of the story--

Post by rdnck »

STIX--Congratulations on your buffalo with the new rifle. How about some details about the bullet and load and how it performed? Did you get complete pass through, and exactly where did you hit the animal? How far was the shot? Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
SHOOTINGSTIX

FIRST BUFFALO

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Sorry it has been so long to get back to all of you, I have been on the road . Some of the facts of my hunt My new rifle is a #1 sporter 30" bl. I was shooting a lyman 520 gr gov bullet with Spg lub, behind 92 gr of goax cartridge. the cow as at 114 yard. off the stix I took one shot went threw both sholders and she went down. the bullet was recovered and had retained most of its weight . The bullet was cast 30-1 . The hunt was outside miles city montana where my brother has a ranch. Now for the pic well as soon as I can figure out how to get them on here I will show you the pic of the buffalo, muledeer and whitetail I took with my rifle this year. I will get them to you all soon. Oh ya shipped home 297.2lbs of meat and man dose it eat good Stix
SHOOTINGSTIX

FIRST BUFFALO

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

Rdnck and Mr Mulhern the load was a upgraded load from the 45-70 load I used for my bear . It punched strait threw an all my game this fall. Thank you for all your help . But next year pp starting from scratch and looking forward to it. Stix
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

That is a KILLER load in a 45-90.

Headhunter
SHOOTINGSTIX

FIRST BUFFALO

Post by SHOOTINGSTIX »

The load was worked up with some help from Mr.mulhern and Rdnck and it will shoot all day long . But the new sharps is the key it is a shooter.