Me and Bob are Leaving for Big Horn Sheep Hunt Tomorrow

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

AzTBH

Me and Bob are Leaving for Big Horn Sheep Hunt Tomorrow

Post by AzTBH »

I should explain that “Bob” is my 257 Roberts. I realize that many of you will think that I should hunt with my 40-70ss. However, Bob (Remington 700 Classic) has been waiting since 1982 for this hunt. This is almost as long as I have been fighting the odds. I have been applying for an Arizona Desert Big Horn Sheep tag since the late 70’s.

I have one of two tags for unit 16B. This is the smallest hunting unit in Arizona is located on the western boundary (Colorado River) of the state. The area is divided in half by Lake Havasu City into a northern section (Needle Mountains) and southern portion (Aubrey Hills). I can hunt in either half. The season is the entire month of December.

I just finished my final packing and to put it mildly I am really psyched. I am leaving in the morning, and I just wanted to share my excitement with some other hunters. Therefore, I am hoping that you fellow “hunters” will share in my enthusiasm, in spite of my weapon choice, for this hunt of a lifetime. With a little luck, I will have a picture to post in the near future.

Thanks
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
bobw

Post by bobw »

Congrats on getting a definite "once in a lifetime tag". I will not fault you for your gun choice not one bit. I'd probably use my 7 mag same as I used on my once in a lifetime Rocky Mountain Goat tag or the 300 Win that I used on my once in a lifetime Custer State Park bull elk tag. Wish you the best of luck, even if you decide to thro rocks at them or count coup with the camera first. Go get them. bobw
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Ross,

I would do exactly what you are doing. I went on a once in a lifetime hunt and collected a B&C Alaskan Brown Bear last year with my long time hunting companion 338 Win Mag that holds MOA off a bipod. I believe any animal taken with a Sharps is a trophy so take that along next time for deer or antelope and not necessarily a buck either. Both hunts will make you grin from ear to ear!

BTW, Bob has been waiting for this hunt as long as you have so good luck to both of you!

Marathonman
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Sounds like your going it alone! Are you carrying your camp on your back or hunting out of a vehicle? MD
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats on getting a license and good luck on your trip. I don't blame you for using the .257 for a once in a lifetime chance.
There are some confirmed method hunters out there but not all that many. I noticed on the Shiloh trophy page that there's a desert sheep and a mountain goat taken. My hat's off to those guys for their dedication.