Rifle season in PA

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Peep Sight

Rifle season in PA

Post by Peep Sight »

Got to take my 110 out hunting this past week. Unfortunately my area is over hunted. When I say "hunted" I really mean sitting in the same spot the whole day watching. I do what I can to spot and stalk. I managed to chase out a few doe, but I am looking for something to put on the wall. I enjoy carrying the single shot as it ups my patience level. It seems that in my area if you hear 1 shot 2 or 3 follow it. Can't wait to drop the hammer on a nice buck.

Do you guys out west have to deal with posted property? I am just wondering if that might be an eastern thing.
M.R.R. 45-70 32"
M.R.R. 45-110 32"
"This is my boomstick!" Bruce Campbell
"If this be treason, let us make the most of it! " Patrick Henry
Brent

Post by Brent »

yes, posted property is an issue. It used to be easier to get permission. But now, must of the land is leased to guys that outfit folks from PA actually. Seems like we are getting to the point where there are more easterners hunting deer in Iowa than Iowans. Esp. on the best ground in the south and eastern parts of the states.

Further west, private land leasing seems to be the rule as well. Eastern WY has a lot of land that is leased out. But they also have some walk-in programs that are pretty good. The outfitters don't much like them, but they do work up to a point.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

My (huge) county is 96% public land in central Idaho.... and private land is still an issue down in the bottoms... if you do your homework and ask ahead of time, depending on the landowner (and what you are after), it is worth the effort. Some ranches have a "don't even ask" for elk but no problem for geese and fishing... it just depends.

L
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

From what I have seen personally Brent is Spot On with what he has Posted.

There are four guys from where I work that are in Iowa hunting as I am typing this. I am not sure what they are after this weekend but I know they go hunting there at least six times a year for both deer and coyote. Two of them even head out there in the spring hunting for shed antlers.

There is nobody but the Pennsylvania Game Commission to blame for this. Brent as far as the hunters from Pa invading your state ..... It is truly a sad situation and you have my apologies!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Our out of state hunter issue is our own fault. It is , in the end all about money. The tradition of local hunting is fading fast and money is taking it's place. Your buddies are almost certainly deer hunting this weekend. This is the opening of the first shotgun season today.

I have heard a lot of controversy about PA deer hunting. It does not sound like your state management has been so bad, but it has been handcuffed a lot by public pressure from what I've seen. You do have more hunters and more deer killed than most states. And you have more killed by cars than most states (Michigan being the only one that gives you a run for your money). I know they have a lot of deer, but not many big deer. Managing for big deer is all but impossible where pressure is high.

I was out using paper patched shot on pheasants to no avail, but I did find an interesting non-typical buck's skull. Not so big but definitely odd.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

There are still plenty of deer around most all of the urban areas in the State. But with the small farms in decline and the land being sold off for new housing the hunting pressure has really been focused on the deer where areas for hunting are still open.

This has lead to an unbelievable amount of land being " Posted " for what ever reason the owner may give. And yes you are right that sometimes money is behind it. I hate to call this the progression of Society but it is what it is and who do you blame for that ..... No One.

Now enter the Game Commission to really screw things up. They moved our doe season to be included with the buck season. This put a big smile on all of the states hunters and lead to the now famous saying ..... " If Its Brown Its Down ". It was nothing less than a slaughter in my eyes.

In less than 4 years it lead to a complete decimation of the states deer herd in the mountains North of Interstate 80. In this area of the State it was common to see deer herds numbering over 20 now you are lucky if you see more than 2 doe at any one time.

The Game Commission says this was done because our State Forest is now mature and can no longer sustain a large deer heard. I have lived, traveled and hunted in Pa. all of my life and there is nothing on this earth that can convince me this State has ever had a deer die of starvation even in the dead of winter. What the State Game Commission is touting isn't just wrong ..... it is nothing less than Plane Old Bullshit!

There are countless thousands of people in my state that believe our Game Commission should be disbanded for what they have done. Not for just what they have done to the deer herd but to the family owed businesses that relied on the hunters money as part of their yearly income. Put me at the head of the line!

Thomas A. Reichard
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
RMulhern

Hunting??

Post by RMulhern »

In ten years unless you're a multi-millionaire.....forget hunting!!

Shoot the gongs and just remember how it was at one time.....years back when only poor folks hunted!! :cry:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
rwsr50

Re: Rifle season in PA

Post by rwsr50 »

Peep Sight wrote:Got to take my 110 out hunting this past week. Unfortunately my area is over hunted. When I say "hunted" I really mean sitting in the same spot the whole day watching. I do what I can to spot and stalk. I managed to chase out a few doe, but I am looking for something to put on the wall. I enjoy carrying the single shot as it ups my patience level. It seems that in my area if you hear 1 shot 2 or 3 follow it. Can't wait to drop the hammer on a nice buck.
Howdy neighbor! I've had the .50-90 out all week, but haven't seen a single deer. Put my 14 year old nephew in my best spot on first day, and he did manage to get his first deer, a nice big 6 point, with a venerable old .30-30. That was actually more rewarding than getting one myself.

I hear what you are saying about over-hunting. I love to sneak hunt, but anymore, doing so just chases deer to the meat hunters sitting in their stands. I passed up a couple buck and lots of doe in archery waiting, like you, for something nicer. Good luck to you! Hopefully one of us will bag one with our Sharps next week.
pete

Post by pete »

In Colorado it's getting harder and harder to hunt private land because of the leases and over bothered ranchers. Too many people and not enough land and animals. Public land is crowded too.
I agree with RMulhern. It might and I say might take a little longer than 10 years but it's coming pretty soon to where quality hunting for the average person is over. Too many people for the available resource leading to a shift to the pay to hunt atmosphere. :(